1010 tartness/fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpold

Reaction score
I used this strain for an American Wheat. I chose it because it is supposed to have a bit of a tart flavor, which is what I wanted for this beer. My primary fermentation temp was 62 degrees. I got a bit of sulfur (which is normal for this strain) but that dissipated after a couple of weeks. But there is no discernible tart flavor. So did I ferment too cool? Would I get more of the tartness if I fermented up around 65 or a little higher? Or will the tart flavor come through if I give it more time?

Any one with experience with this yeast?

I started my Amer Wheat at around 65 and then upped it to about 68-70 to finish it off. Sample I took had a very nice flavor, mildy tart.

With an advertised temp range of the below, I'd say shoot for 72F next time and get into flavor country!

Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)

Update: Throughout primary fermentation and right up until bottling, the results from this yeast were very clean with no discernable tart flavor and very little ester. But after two weeks in the bottle, there was a clear, if slightly subtle, tartness to this beer. Not strong, but a flavor that balanced the other flavors in the beer nicely. It turned out really well actually. I think the carbonation helped bring out some of the flavors that didn't come through before bottling. And now that the beer has been in the bottle for 4-5 weeks, the esters have really started coming out. At this point, the beer (what is left of it at least which isn't much) has a distinctly fruity profile. So, the flavors I wanted were in there. I just needed to be more patient.

Back