Layering dry hop additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geer537

Reaction score
I have been layering my dry hop additions- 1 oz just after fermentation and 1 oz a week later. Essentially the first addition is in the fermenter for 2 weeks but I haven't noticed any vegetal flavors in my beer. I am using pelletized Falconer's Flight 7 C's though so maybe that may have something to do with not gettng the off flavors. Anyone else experiment with layering dry hop additions? I like how the beer turns out but haven't brewed the same recipe without layering the dry hop additions so I am not sure if I am adding an extra unnecessary step at this point.

I tried searching for this but maybe my search criteria was off because I couldn't find anything.

I used to dry hop in the primary...then rake on to a hop tea, then dry hop a few days later. Obviously it was an insane hop aroma...you could smell the beer across the room.

At the same time, using slightly more and just dry hopping in the secondary has given me pretty good results. A little less, but my first system was pretty overboard.

I have been wanting to brew it without dry hopping a week a part but I reall like the aroma and flavor. I am lagging because if it ain't broke don't fix it right? I'll give those 2 threads a read. Thanks for the lead fnord!

I've thought about this too! Could one in theory, add your dry hops in a weighted mesh bag, remove them a week later, add a fresh bag and continue like that to get a super satured hop aroma? This seems like it would be a good way to get more hop oils into your brew and still avoid over-extraction/grassiness (if indeed that is a thing).

I have made a few iterations of our IPA, but none have had the incredible aroma punch other IIPA's tend to have. I would credit multiple dry hops for this and will be trying it out next time.

Some double ipa aroma comes from an extended hop steep after the boil, anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. I layer all my dry hops, 3 days for pellets, 5 days if I have to use leaf. I used to dryhop for long periods but found I got just as much aroma ay 3 days.

Back