blending sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I made myself a one gallon sour that is 9 months old now. Tastes pretty stellar. If i threw this one gallon into a keg and carbed it and let it sit could I then blend with it another one or two gallon sours in a few months?

Or should i just rack it to the keg and purge oxygen and just let it wait?

The idea is that i would like to be able to drink it while it sits and just kind of have an ever evolving sour. I adding stale beer to carbed beer is no good then I'll avoid it though.

nice a keg solera. should work well given the gallon actually lasts til the blend

Oh yeah, I can make this first gallon last plenty of time. I am pretty good at hiding beer away and forgetting about it. I can have two or three more gallons going in a couple weeks. Then blend in 6-9 months.

Any other sour batches will just wait till there is space in that keg...if it ever gets full. And i just have to make sure it never runs dry, which will be simple given the premise of the whole thing.

So mixing carbed and uncarbed is ok?

Yeah i can do that.

I just researched the term solera, had no clue this technique existed. It's pretty much exactly what I am going for, except I will be drinking from the holding vessel and filling it whenever I feel like it, vs just a holding tank that I take a set amount from every year.

This will be fun, and as long as nobody drinks all of it one night I will be fine lol

Back