Dead Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_Newhouse

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I started brewing my first batch today. It has been in the fermenter for 8 hours now and there are no signs of fermentation. Is that normal?

I’m afraid I might have killed the yeast. I used a liquid yeast packet that I forgot about after I bought and left in my car in the hot Texas sun for the last 3 days. The outside temps here have been around 100 so it could have got up to 135 or more inside the car. Would that be enough to kill it?

Would it be okay to add another yeast packet or should I just dump it out and start over?

Yeah, that temp might have done the little critters in. Buy another pack. Although, 8 hours isn't really long enough to tell of they aren't alive, it could be 24 hours or more before you see signs of fermentation. To be safe though, go ahead and buy another one. And don't forget it in the car again.

Normally, I'd point you to the "fermentation can take 72 hours to start" sticky... but 135 is enough to kill yeast. Buy another pack and repitch.

Next time, make a starter.

When guys talk about adding yeast to something why do they say to "pitch" the yeast? When I read that I envision myself standing back a few yards and tossing it in.

Rob_Newhouse said:
When guys talk about adding yeast to something why do they say to "pitch" the yeast? When I read that I envision myself standing back a few yards and tossing it in.

isn't that what you're supposed to do? :)

I think its just a term, when I right down my recipe in my notes I always say "introduced yeast"

Umm, that's not what you're supposed to do? I guess obverse been all this time.

No really I bet it is just jargon.from the industry.?

Back