Stalled fermentation at 1.051 ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartie

Reaction score
So I tried to make a ginger beer with DME. I used 300g of fresh ginger and 850g of medium DME for a total volume of 5 liters, this gave me an OG of 1.061. I used a dry packet of yeast that had came with a kit (prob a mistake). The next day it was bubbling in the airlock. A week later I checked the gravity and it was 1.051. Since I was starting to make another beer anyway I put some extra yeast in, this time I made a starter. I checked the gravity 2 days later and its still at 1.051. So I decided to put in some champagne yeast, this was yesterday so I have not yet checked the gravity but I do not see any bubbles in the airlock.

My hydrometer gives 1.000 with water so I know its ok.
I also used a calculator find what my OG should be and it was close to what I had 1.061.

So what is going on? I didn't know it was possible to stall at such a high number.

Any help would be great. thanks

If its only been a week, let it sit. It might just go slowly from here out. Drink something else for awhile :mug:

If its only been a week, let it sit. It might just go slowly from here out. Drink something else for awhile :mug:

+1

Champagne yeast are stealthy little buggers too, they don't give much indication of their activity, other than lowering your gravity points. Wait a week and then take a reading to see what's truly going on.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep waiting then, and check on it in another week.

Its quite warm in my apartment, so the temperature ranges from 18C (64F) to 27C (80F) these past couple of weeks. But I have been putting the bucket in the bathtub with cool water to try to keep it from getting so hot. I don't have a temp gauge on the bucket so not sure what the actual temp is.

Back