Nottingham Yeast Package is weird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I am aware of all the talk about this yeast right now and the slow fermentation but this is an older packet.

It's not expired but when I pulled it out of the fridge yesterday, the package feels like one solid piece of yeast. If you shake the package, you can't feel or hear the particles moving around. It's like one soft lump in the package.

Should I just toss it? How could this have happened?? Thanks.

I just had one of those bad notty experiences and I noticed that the yeast was sticky and clumpy when I tried to pour it.

Usually yeast is dry and flows out of the pack with ease.

Is it vacuum sealed like it is supposed to be? Once you open it does it flow freely? Most importantly did you check the lot number? There was only one lot number in question.

It is a shame that Nottingham, even years from now will be suspect. Even though they recalled all of the yeast.

We sent back all of the lot numbered yeast and had it replaced. We have not had a single Nottingham complaint. And we sell over 50 a week.

Forrest

It is a shame that Nottingham, even years from now will be suspect. Even though they recalled all of the yeast.

Forrest

I agree. It's a great yeast that I've used many times, always happily. It's just proof that a single flaw can prove disastrous to a product (assuming sales of Notty fall that much -- I have no idea if they have or not).

Have some US-05 on hand (Safale) just in case. It will give a similar/clean profile. I'd go with above and say if the yeast is clumpy then don't use it.

Back