Is This Jello in my fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug029

Reaction score
So I was dry hopping my Liberty Cream Ale (by Midwest Supplies, great store) with 1 oz of Crita hops. After a week, I opened up the lid and found this Jello-like stuff floating in the fermenter. I was able to scoop some out and it kinda looked like applesauce. It didnt smell like anything and it taste like nothing (yes I tasted for science ha). My first thought is that it might be the hop oil forming some kind of jell...like....stuff...Anyone have any thoughts on what it is? I think the beer is fine just curious thanks guys!

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Did you taste the beer? It may be trub, but if the beer is sour, its good for BBQ sauce.

Yeah its defiantly not trub, I guess its more like a slime. But I did taste the beer and there is no sour taste or smell. So thats a good sign.

I am only 7 brews in to my career, and I am already amazed at the things that I have seen floating in my beers (and one cider). Each time you pull the top off the bucket it's like xmass morning :rockin: This one looks funky for sure, but from everything that I have read, I agree with what you have said - it smells fine and tastes fine, so its fine!

That is awesome that you tasted it! A true mad scientist!!!

You sir, may have just eaten some natural beer jelly. It's good for you... Or something like that...

autolysis breaking down the yeast cells.

you made vegemite. horrible on toast, but harmless.

amandabab said:

Not likely, considering he said it's tasteless. That's pretty much the last thing somebody would call autolyzed yeast.

That's awesome.... little confused on the diagnosis of cannibalistic yeast though? Autolysis doesn't 'break down yeast', autolysis is the process of live yeast eating dead yeast cells (Autolysis - /ôˈtäləsis/ Noun: The destruction of cells or tissues by their own enzymes) ..... which isn't happening in the OPs photo. What that pic shows is a coagulated clump of yeast and break material, probably once adhered to the bottom of the bucket, but brought to the top either by being jarred loose or co2 releasing from solution. It stays as a clump due to a protein coagulant such as irish moss/whirfloc being used. It's actually quite common, there'll be several threads showing just this on any given week here on HBT

Back