Questions on blue agave extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
You know I am not even quite to sure were to start this post off, not only that I wasn't even sure where to put it as it contains questions on brewing math as well as product. Well here we go....

I am thinking of using this in a batch of experimental beer for my boss. She is a big fan of tequila and beer and I figured I would try to meld the two into one. I am not really trying to make a Tequiza, so please dont think that I am in. I have some good ideas for this, but I really need to work out these issues first, then I can go from there. So first, has anyone used this stuff:

Agave Extract

If you have how much of the agave flavor made it over into the finished product, I know it wont taste just like tequila, but I am trying to judge what the contribution will be. On the sight it says malty aroma and sweetness with hints of molasses, but that just sounds out of place to me. I have had agave sweetener before I dont remember any of that.

The second question, the math part. I did some other research and found that this stuff has an SG of 1.028 per 1 pound in 1 gallon of water. What I need to to figure out is what the OE of that would be. I am pretty much trying to get the info so that I can add it as an ingredient in BTP. For the life of me I cant seem to find a decent formula or explanation of figuring this out. I am going to email MoreBeer and see if they can provide this info, but I would still like to know.

Thanks guys and if anything didn't seem clear let me know!

I used some agave nectar in a hot pepper beer I did last fall. This was an organic sweetener made to replace honey. I used it as such. I only used about a 1/2 lb. but detected no flavor contribution. The one I used was from the health food store. I'd start out with adding it where honey is added in existing recipes. A full lb. or two wouldn't hurt anything in a lighter style like cream ale.

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling that it would not impart too much of the agave flavor. I wills till use it though from an authenticity standpoint.

So I am guessing that no one has any idea about the math?

Just putting this back at the top to see if any one knows the answer to the math question, or at least a resource.

Well as is usually in most things homebrew I was making it way more difficult than it needed to be. I basically used this:

How To Brew said:
If you want to brew 5 gallons of 1.040 gravity beer, this would call for 5 lbs of DME having 40 pts/lb./gal, or 5.5 lbs of LME having 36 pts/lb./gal.

i.e. 1.040 = 40 pts/gal x 5 gal = 200 pts total

200 pts = 36 pts/lb. x (?) lbs => (?) lbs = 200 / 36 = 5.55 lbs.

5.55 lb. of 36 pts/lb./gal LME are needed to make the same 5 gallons of beer.

Wrapped my brain what was really going with the math and what I wanted to find out and went from there.

Also on a personal note I failed miserably at this thread. I forgot to do two things before I posted this. I forgot to search the forum and I forgot to read Palmer.

Latest posts

Back