Blackout IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloin

Reaction score
To celebrate the end of 2010 and moving into 2011, I am making a Black IPA today.
Here's the recipe for 5gal:

11 lbs pilsner malt
.5 lbs crystal 120L
.5 pale chocolate malt
1 oz simcoe 70 mins
1 oz simcoe 20 mins
1 oz amarillo 1 min
1 tablet whirlfloc 10 mins

Mash: 150 for 60 mins

Boil 70 mins
Target OG: 1.062
Target FG: 1.010
~6.8% ABV

Yeast: S-05 - 1 package

Ferment: 68 deg for 2 weeks

Does anyone have thoughts on what to expect?

Cheers!
Beerloin

.5 lbs of pale chocolate will give you a brown-out IPA. If you have any on hand, I'd suggest augmenting that is .5 lbs of Carafa special II for more color without adding much roasted character.

I'd probably up the late boil hops as well if you've got some extras in the freezer. I assume you are doing a dry hop?

Good luck.

.5 lbs of pale chocolate will give you a brown-out IPA. If you have any on hand, I'd suggest augmenting that is .5 lbs of Carafa special II for more color without adding much roasted character.

I'd probably up the late boil hops as well if you've got some extras in the freezer. I assume you are doing a dry hop?

Good luck.

wasn't planning on the dry hop...

i do have some whole leaf cascades... should I throw those in for a dry hop?

And, as oldsock surmised, that is 1/2 lb, right?

I might recommend 1/2 lb of debittered black malt too, just so it lives up to the name. Debittered black will add a little complexity too.

To celebrate the end of 2010 and moving into 2011, I am making a Black IPA today.
Here's the recipe for 5gal:

11 lbs pilsner malt
.5 lbs crystal 120L
.5 pale chocolate malt
1 oz simcoe 70 mins
1 oz simcoe 20 mins
1 oz amarillo 1 min
1 tablet whirlfloc 10 mins

Mash: 150 for 60 mins

Boil 70 mins
Target OG: 1.062
Target FG: 1.010
~6.8% ABV

Yeast: S-05 - 1 package

Ferment: 68 deg for 2 weeks

Does anyone have thoughts on what to expect?

Cheers!
Beerloin

SOOOO here's what I ended up doing:
11 pilsner malt
0.5 crystal 120
0.5 pale chocolate malt
2 oz Simcoe Hops 1oz 70 mins 1oz 20 mins
1 oz amorillo 1 oz 1 min
1 packet dry S-04

SG 1.058
FG 1.010

Dry Hop -
1oz palisades pellets
1oz citra whole leaf

first tasting notes:
I just racked it from the carboy to the keg...it tastes like foot... so, not good.
im hoping that the dry hop mixed with some fridge time will make it better.....

Color notes:
yep - it is definately a brown... actually, i would call it a mild brown. There is nothing at all that makes this a "blackout" IPA.... so, I should have listened to all of you!!!!

Any thoughts on the flavor and why it tastes like a sweaty foot?

Just to follow up - After further time in the Keg with a dry hop of palisades and citra, this thing is amazing! i would make this again in a second, perhaps with some more of the suggestions posted above to make it more "black".
the taste no longer tastes like a sweaty foot and the aroma is just mouth watering!

Back