New to Brewing! But having a great time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc-trout

Reaction score
So far I want to say that I'm brand new to Home brewing. I've read a couple of books and have lurked on many websites before I started. I'm currently two brews into my brewing career... and I couldn't be more excited and thrilled with what I've been able to accomplish with very little knowledge.

My first batch was a complete extract with no hops or anything. Easy to do and it turned out AWESOME. It was a brown ale. It fermented in about 3 days. I let it sit for about a week, bottled it and a few days later started enjoying my first homebrew!!!!

Second batch in I went with a Belgian triple ale recipe, part grain, part extract, and within 24 hrs of pitching the yeast my brew went crazy!!!! it was fermenting so fast it blew the airlock off the top of my fermenting bucket!!! It reached its FG in 4 days! I let it sit and settle for a few, and then bottled it and its taste awesome!

Just wanted to let you guys know I've been lurking around here for a while reading posts etc.... Thanks for all the indirect help. I can see this is going to be a life long passion for me. I like drinking a good beer, and nothing taste better than something I created myself...

:D

Are you using a hydrometer to test them to make sure they're done fermenting? The airlock isn't a good way to tell. Most often,only the initial fermentation is done. It takes longer than a couple of days typically to finish out. Also to let it clean up by products & settle out more. I don't bottle til the brew is clear or a little hazy. Less trub in the bottles that way,& the flavor is cleaner.
It usually takes more than a couple of days to carbonate as well. But welcome to the obsession & HBT just the same. :tank:

Yes, I check with the Hydrometer, three days of the same reading. I will admit I'm a little quick on the trigger getting it to the bottles. But that is just my excitement to move forward. I have enough bottles in the fridge to be more patient with the next batch... LOL..

I did some experiments on a few batches to see how long it took to clean up & settle out more after a stable FG was reached. Turns out to be 3-5 days on average,sometimes as much as 7 days. Doing this in primary before bottling not only gives less yeast trub in the bottles,but cleans up many off flavors before it goes into the bottles.
That way,it can finish cleaning up while carbing & conditioning,if needs be.
I've found average gravity ales are good at 4 weeks,mid-gravity 5 weeks or more. It also seems to matter how dark the beer is when conditioning.
So that's my reasons for the responses. :mug: Patience is golden as a brewer....

Congrats my fellow NC home brewer! Sounds like your off to a good start. It is quite an experience or even an epiphany to an extent when you take a sip of that first homebrew and go, wow that is some good beer... and you know what.. I made it.

It only gets better as you refine your process and start creating your own beers. Just poured a one of my new IPA's yesterday and thought to myself, this is one of my best IPA's yet and close to the best I've every tasted! You'll find your beers will improve and each batch will seem like the best ever. That is my favorite part.

Back