bottle conditioning really does pay off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norest

Reaction score
my other 4 batch's i let got for 3 week usually , this time i had the patience and let them go for 6 weeks and man did it pay off , even the clarity greatly improved .

I need accountability for this in a stupid way....I only brew half batches, my LHBS is over two hours away and I lack complete and total control....

Compulsivity is my middle name.....glad you all are being successful here....

It really pays off for bigger, dark ales like stouts and porters. I have kicked myself many times for drinking most of a batch within a month of bottling, only to find a few stray bottles many months later and they are SOOOOO much better. Now I condition in the secondary for a month, then bottle condtion for at least another when brewing bigger/darker ales.

lgtg said:
I need accountability for this in a stupid way....I only brew half batches, my LHBS is over two hours away and I lack complete and total control....

Compulsivity is my middle name.....glad you all are being successful here....

Why are you brewing half batches? I can't imagine doing this much work and waiting 6 weeks for 28 beers, thats not even a beer a day for your wait! :)

I'm about to get another carboy so I can get two batches going at once. I need to stock up on bottles though. Every 12er of cindercone is another half case I can bottle later :)

Rook said:
Why are you brewing half batches? I can't imagine doing this much work and waiting 6 weeks for 28 beers, thats not even a beer a day for your wait! :)

I'm about to get another carboy so I can get two batches going at once. I need to stock up on bottles though. Every 12er of cindercone is another half case I can bottle later :)

Rook,

I'm at ahlf batch for the time being as I got a Beer Machine for Christmas (I picked up a Mr Beer for a secondary vessel for $10) to experiment with. My wife thoughtfully bought me the gift of beer and said that if I liked brewing that the following Christmas she would upgrade me.

So, it's been small batches but it's not any less fulfilling! Space is a commodity at this point but I've been planning and I think that with the patience, I could be brewing full batches by next year. Yes, I brew under a case at this point because I ususally test 6 to 12 ounces suring fermentation and claryfication for off flavor and contamination. Just picked up a hydrometer and testing cask and that will further deplete the final volume but I'll brew as often as I can and be happy with whatever yield.

The major objective right now is to brew accurately, build confidence by knowing that no matter how or how much I brew, it's always good or better beer.

Just maximizing the value of the gift for now......looking forward though, always looking forward.

Back