Got a 15g boilermaker as a gift, help me in selecting aditiona equipment I will need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I recieved a 15g boilermaker brew kettle as a Christmas gift. I have just started entering into all grain (BIAB method). The first 2 pieces I think I need to accompany the kettle is a wort chiller and possibly a burner. I have been trying to decide between the plate chiller or the counterflow chiller. I'm leaning towards the counterflow chiller because I heard the plate chiller could be a challange to keep clean. I have read multiple posts and just can't make up my mind.

Also I currently still brew in my kitchen. I have a good stove with 2 18,000 BTU burners and 4 15,000 BTU burners. Could I just put the pot over multiple burners or do I really need to consider doing an outdoor burner.

Any other equipment I should look at. I think a pulley system might make sense if I move into the garage and out of the kitchen.

Also to note I only plan on doing 5g batches at the moment but frequently do high gravity brews 10%+.

First off wow, what an awesome gift.

Iyou definitely can put the pot on multiple burners. My only thought is that you should definitely have a hood over the stove (probably already have) 5 or more gallons boiling away in the house will give off a lot of moisture which could lead to mold problems. I did it once and it fogged up every window in the house to dripping.

If your doing BIAB then having a range hood above the kettle could be a problem. Especially if
It's a 15g Blinkman. You'll want to slowly lift the bag out of the wort and let it drain naturally. Grain bills for 10% ABV beers even at 5 gal batch size will be in excess of 20lbs and you'll need a way to hold it for several minutes over the kettle. Not sure how you will do it but that is a typical method. Another way is the double boiler method. Still the need to lift heavy wet grains persists.

I employ an immersion chiller and a counterflow chiller which I built myself. I like having both because it bugs me to depend solely on the immersion due to its water consumption ( full bore on the garden hose for 20-30mins). I chill to < 140 degrees then I swap the hose over to the counterflow then open the valve on the kettle then let er rip into the carboy. Usually comes out right at pitching temp.

I Chill to at least 140 because I try to get the wort volume down below a temp where the late hop additions will keep there qualities. If you just use a counterflow than the bulk of the wort is still sitting at slightly less than boiling temps which continues to isomerize the alpha acid of the hop additions. This principal applies to plate chillers as well. If the wort is less than 140 than this is not usually a concern.

Just what I do. Works for me and is somewhat more water conscience

Happy brewing

I prefer Immersion chillers. I'd also suggest getting a burner and moving outdoors or in the garage. After that I'd focus efforts on the fermentation. Temp control, stir plate and flask for yeast starters, etc... Good fermentation is the key to great beer. Next I'd get into kegging. Kegs are sooo much easier then cleaning and filling all those bottles.

I guess I could try to brew on the stove for the first batch and see how that goes....I do have a good vent hood.

I already have a fermentation chamber, stir plate, and kegging.

Would an immersion chiller be sufficient if I moved up to 10g batches?

It would, you might want to consider the 50' coil as opposed to the typical 25'. It's pretty easy to fabricate one... You already have kegs so just wrap some 3/8 copper coil around your cornies. I would price check the coils online before buying copper at the hardware store. Sometimes they flip flop.

Back