Stuck Mash problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landocota

Reaction score
Just tried my first AG batch using a NB 5 gallon cooler system. Everything was going great till I tried to lauter and nothing came out. The system has a false bottom and I tested everything before I started my (attempted )brew day. The grain bill was about 10.5 lbs. What could be causing this?

It was 9 lb 2 row pale, 1 lb crystal 40l, .5lb crystal 90l, and 2 oz roasted barley. Trying to do an aggressively hopped red.

i had a similar problem.

try using 0.5 lbs of rice hulls in every batch you brew. i know, i know, "you don't need them unless you use wheat or rye", but trust me, it'll increase your efficiency and flow rate no matter the grain bill.

hope this helps!

How fast are you collecting your runnings? Don't turn the ball valve all the way open. The grain bed can become compacted if you do this. Collecting your wort with a slower runoff will help the grain bed form properly and not turn into concrete.

You shouldn't have any issues with a grain bill like that. I suggest pinpointing the problem instead of using hulls in every batch. You're going to run into problems here and there, but finding out why they occur and fixing them will help you better understand your system and, ultimately, achieve better results.

*edit* Also, don't be afraid to stir your mash pre lautering. Letting it sit or running off your wort slowly will actually help you form a grain bed after stirring.

How fast are you collecting your runnings? Don't turn the ball valve all the way open. The grain bed can become compacted if you do this. Collecting your wort with a slower runoff will help the grain bed form properly and not turn into concrete.

You shouldn't have any issues with a grain bill like that. I suggest pinpointing the problem instead of using hulls in every batch. You're going to run into problems here and there, but finding out why they occur and fixing them will help you better understand your system and, ultimately, achieve better results.

*edit* Also, don't be afraid to stir your mash pre lautering. Letting it sit or running off your wort slowly will actually help you form a grain bed after stirring.

+1 all sound info.

SethMasterFlex said:

I only opened the valve about 1/2 way, once nothing came out I opened it all the way. Is it possible the grain was milled too fine?

How is your false bottom connected to your valve? Are you sure you didn't knock something loose while stirring? Mine used to be connected with a tube. It was easy to dislodge while stirring and caused a few incidents.

lschiavo said:
How is your false bottom connected to your valve? Are you sure you didn't knock something loose while stirring? Mine used to be connected with a tube. It was easy to dislodge while stirring and caused a few incidents.

It is connected with thick walled 3/8 hi temp tubing so I guess that's a possibility.

It is connected with thick walled 3/8 hi temp tubing so I guess that's a possibility.

So was mine. If you knock that tubing loose, you will get NO flow. That happened twice to me and I rigged up a much more solid connection that I am still using a few years later. Keep in mind that with the higher mash temps, that tubing is much more pliable.

lschiavo said:
So was mine. If you knock that tubing loose, you will get NO flow. That happened twice to me and I rigged up a much more solid connection that I am still using a few years later. Keep in mind that with the higher mash temps, that tubing is much more pliable.

Loose like off the fitting completely? What was your solution?

Loose like off the fitting completely? What was your solution?

Yes, it came right off the hose barb a few times from hitting it with the mash paddle. I soldered up some copper tubing to replace the plastic tubing. The false bottom side just pressure fits into a coupling on the ball valve side. It's a bit of a "rigged" job but it works.

Success! I switched the false bottom to the HLT and everything worked perfect. Turns out the bottom of the mash tun had bubbled up a little from the heat of the strike water and was blocking the flow. Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Back