Blue Rhino Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh? If you are getting more fuel at the same price you are saving money.

The cost per fill wasn't the same. It was the cost per gallon (or pound). U-Haul sells by the gallon so it was $4.75/gallon (don't remember the exact number). BR charges ~$18/15 lbs. If you break it down on a per gallon basis, the cost was within a few percent. I can't find the calculation anymore, but it was close enough for me not to bother going back to U-Haul.

The cost per fill wasn't the same. It was the cost per gallon (or pound). U-Haul sells by the gallon so it was $4.75/gallon (don't remember the exact number). BR charges ~$18/15 lbs. If you break it down on a per gallon basis, the cost was within a few percent. I can't find the calculation anymore, but it was close enough for me not to bother going back to U-Haul.

BR is 21 to 22 here, I fill a 20# tank at Tech air and it was 18 $ the last time

So, because fill stations may have an adapter for the valve, it's not proprietary? I'm confused. I'm not saying refilling stations can't fill the tanks, I'm saying the valve on the BR tanks is proprietary.

Out of the three tanks I have I think one has the proprietary valve . But since any propane dealer can get the adapter its not really proprietary in my opinion , its just different than the rest

I use the local Sunbelt Rentals. They fill the tank to the tare (empty) weight X 2, i.e., if the tare weight on the tank is 17.5 pounds, the guy sets the scale for 35 pounds and fill until the scale balances. This fill is $12. This isn't completely full, but it's as good as anything else available around here. The exchanges are invariably higher, and, as has been pointed out, the exchange companies have reduced the contents of their tanks. AmeriGas was giving rebates based on people's complaints about only filling to 15 pounds. They stated they had done this due to the rising price of propane, to keep the cost of a fill the same. Oddly enough, now that the price of oil (and propane- we filled our bulk tank for $1.59 / gal. this year, which is way down from last yar) is down, they haven't lowered their prices. Surprise, surprise.

Latest posts

Back