An experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta

Reaction score
Last evening, after brewing, I ended up with about 1.5 gals of 1.050 extra wort, that I didn't know what to do with (besides canning) so I left it in the unsanitized bucket, loosely covered with a lid, and poured the dregs from a couple of homebrews (coopers / WLP004) in during the night. This morning it was fermenting, when I realized I never boiled that portion of all-grain wort. So should I let it go? Should I drink the results? Should I bother to rack my tiny-weeny batch?

I'm interested in what the un-coagulated protiens (hot/cold break) will do, not to mention all the nice lambic stuff in all-grain.

how nasty was the bucket?

It was rinsed very well in hot water. I use the bucket mostly to cart my extra wort into the kitchen for canning starters / priming wort, so I figure I'll be boiling the heck out of it, so I don't worry about sanitizing the bucket.

It's what I call a "clean" bucket: it's used to mill grains, dechlorinate water, etc, and is always rinsed well with hot water immediately after use, and dried. My "slop" buckets, on the other hand are used to catch drippings from hoses after use, store my chiller, and generally stay wet a long(er) time. BTW: both my "clean" and "slop" buckets are separate and distinct from my fermentation buckets, which I protect from scratching, bugs, dust, etc....

Latest posts

Back