Solenoid Valve on Beer Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

190Shilling

Reaction score
So, we got a couple cats. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it was 4 against 1 and I lost. They are black bengal cats that we adopted. These creatures from the pits of hades can jump anywhere and onto anything. My concren is my bar, with beer taps. Just takes a nudge and alot of beer is on the hardwood floor. So I got some solenoid valves for the beer line and a switch to control them(need to do this to keep the kids out too).

My question is: Has anyone else put a solenoid valve on the beer line and have you had any issue with foaming? I'll put these right off the keg and leave 5 feet to the tap, but just wanted to see if there is anything else I should do to keep foam under control.

Please don't berate me for the cats.....

Thanks.

I did this once just as a test. I used one of the 1/4" NPT threaded nylon valves from Valves4Projects on Ebay. I also had about 5 feet of tubing after the valve and had a ton of foaming with it. The orifice is only 2.5mm on them, which is almost half the diameter of a 3/16 beverage line. If you have one with a larger orifice, I think it would perform better than mine did.

Sounds overcomplicated when they make tap locks that would serve the same purpose:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=UQ1mUJTCO_LU2QXo74CACA&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAA#

WHKkVZmv6TR8OOp90gBT70lpkwN1OHM3bvNni1J9xgM9pOo1m2fj6t0jTDtbW2Ei2kIFY9v2dMZ74IuL83oDlUbjGQGfa29SPIAX5wgJz0rRiKEWJi-JD_Bf5viIEtTUIAoCHHu7Se-upWIQuvc38XJ6u2bvJUlxbzrR6EP4LWQSKmYJ8wjT

Check out the ASCO 212 series valves. (1/2" & 3/4")

They are NSF rated, i.e. rated for food/ dring use.

Or the 8256 NSF series (1/8 1/4")

Those valves have an awfully low pressure rating. Normal serving pressures for a keg would likely render them inoperable.

Edit:
Why would someone be berated for having cats and only two of them at that?

Haha... says the guy with a cat avatar :tank:

(I also have two cats)

Back