Saison "Scarborough Fair" Saison (Saison du Buff clone) ALL GRAIN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week in keg
Tasting Notes
6.1% ABV
5 lbs. German pilsner malt
5 lbs. American 2-Row pale
2 lbs. Wheat malt
0.5 lbs. Flaked Rye

0.5 oz. Centennial @ 60 MIN
1/2 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 MIN
1 oz. Amarillo @ 1 MIN
0.5 oz. Centennial @ 1 MIN
0.25 oz. of each Parsley, White Sage, Rosemary, and Lemon Thyme @ 1 MIN
(optionally dry hop with 1 oz. Citra for 7 days)

Mash @ 150F for 60 min
Mashout @ 165F

Used Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison w/ 800 mL starter

------

If you're a fan of the Saison du Buff collaboration beer, you'll be a big fan of this. Came out really close to what I remember it tasting like and has become a regular brew for me at least once every summer. Very refreshing, and an interesting and pleasant flavor for warm weather.

The citra dry-hopping's just for fun if you're a fan. What can I say? I like citra. :mug:

0.25 oz. of each Parsley, White Sage, Rosemary, and Lemon Thyme @ 1 MIN

Is the herb blend fresh or dry herbs? Did you just toss them in or did you have them in a hop bag? And I assume it was at 1 min left in boil?

How did the flavor come through? I'm thinking of doing a Simon & Garfunkel Wit and was just trying to figure out the herb amounts.

Is the herb blend fresh or dry herbs? Did you just toss them in or did you have them in a hop bag? And I assume it was at 1 min left in boil?

How did the flavor come through? I'm thinking of doing a Simon & Garfunkel Wit and was just trying to figure out the herb amounts.

I used dried herbs and I just tossed them in - no bag. Yes, it was at one minute left in the boil.

The flavor came through excellently - I really enjoyed the dimension the different herbs added to the beer. Complex, light, and interesting. Give it a shot and see if those amounts work for you. They worked for me pretty well.

I have a friend who tried to do something similar and ended up adding way too much white sage and his beer ended up tasting a bit like thanksgiving dinner, which was tasty but not what he was going for. ;)

Excellent thanks for the input…picking up ingredients tomorrow…just want it to be a light crisp clean beer, not a marinade…

Have you brewed this yet? Interested in your results/impressions.

I did…I actually brewed a lemon rosemary wit which came out very good. From that wit I racked off 1 gallon and added the fresh herbs. I don't think I had a good herb ratio or maybe I let it sit too long. The first bottle I had was very earthy and herby. I'm hoping with time it'll mellow out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did…I actually brewed a lemon rosemary wit which came out very good. From that wit I racked off 1 gallon and added the fresh herbs. I don't think I had a good herb ratio or maybe I let it sit too long. The first bottle I had was very earthy and herby. I'm hoping with time it'll mellow out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So if you did a 1 gallon, do you remember the amounts of each of the herbs that you added to it to the point where it came out very herby? Just wondering for data-collecting purposes.

Just bottled an experimental gallon of Scarborough MO Pale Ale last weekend.

1 lb. pale lme
1/2 lb. brown sugar
3/4 oz. dry Italian Seasoning (Sage-Rosemary-Thyme-Marjoram-Oregano) 30 min. boil
1/2 oz. fresh Italian Parsley 30 min. boil
Half a packet of Safale 05 Yeast

OG 1.060/FG 1.017/ABV 5.62

Bottled it two weeks after sitting in the primary. It tastes uniquely interesting. It would pair well with pizza. I will try a bottle in another week and at the end of the month and report back.

Just bottled an experimental gallon of Scarborough MO Pale Ale last weekend.

1 lb. pale lme
1/2 lb. brown sugar
3/4 oz. dry Italian Seasoning (Sage-Rosemary-Thyme-Marjoram-Oregano) 30 min. boil
1/2 oz. fresh Italian Parsley 30 min. boil
Half a packet of Safale 05 Yeast

OG 1.060/FG 1.017/ABV 5.62

Bottled it two weeks after sitting in the primary. It tastes uniquely interesting. It would pair well with pizza. I will try a bottle in another week and at the end of the month and report back.

It is a very interesting and savory taste. I've marinated chickens in it before and it's amazing.

Very different taste from other brews, but most enjoyable. Certainly an ale to sip and savor, not guzzle down quickly. Want to brew an experimental batch using only fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme and compare it with this one. Will use .5 oz. parsley and .25 oz. of the other herbs.

I had the DFH version last summer which went phenomenally with seafood. Been itching to replicate it ever since. Interested in using fresh herbs as all 4 grow in my garden. Was even thinking of possibly "dry hopping" with a bit of lemongrass.

I know its a bit of an old thread here, but anyone done this with the fresh herbs and any tips?

Thanks!

Back