Recipe wanted for dirty beer (slang for guiness and pepsi in these parts)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathcom

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some help on a recipe that would have the typical guiness clone ingredients and add the pepsi flavor. My buddies love dirty beers as theyre called and a favor has been brought forth.
I know I can get cola from the health food store for use in home remedies for naseua and such but how could I incorporate that into an all grain guiness clone recipe? Any help would be much appreciated!

All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 43
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 24.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 65
Additional Fermentation: no
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 65
Tasting Notes: I have been working at making a clone, This is pretty much spot on.

Guiness Draught Clone 68% Eff.

8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
3.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 43.0 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash: 3.75 Gal 170.5 Degrees for 45 Min
2.50 Gal 185.0 Degrees for 20 Min Batch Sparge Round 1
2.50 Gal 185.0 Degrees for 20 Min Batch Sparge Round 2

Cool to 65 Pitch Nottingham let ferment 10 days at 65, Rack to Secondary for 14 days at 65.

Brewers note: To get the sourness of guiness. 1 Week before brewing put 24oz of Guiness in a bowl and sit it on the counter for 4 days to get sour. Freeze until brew day, On brew day remove and thaw. When there is about 30 mins left in your brew put the sour guiness on the stove and boil it for 10 mins then add it to flameout on your brew.

Brewers note two: Remember when brewing this beer that you will not get the creaminess of Guiness unless you have Nitrogen Injection. However the Taste is spot on. Enjoy
As far as adding cola i have no idea, i would assume you add it at the end of boil.

Thanks for the reply, this seems the best clone around for guiness. Was hoping to get more info on adding the cola ingredient. My thought is maybe adding half or so (flat?) pepsi at the bottling stage so not to interfere with the brew. Sugars may throw things off too much.

Thanks for the reply, this seems the best clone around for guiness. Was hoping to get more info on adding the cola ingredient. My thought is maybe adding half or so (flat?) pepsi at the bottling stage so not to interfere with the brew. Sugars may throw things off too much.

I would expect Pepsi to have preservatives that will prevent the yeast from carbonating bottles unless you force carbonate in a keg.

Make a dry stout recipe (the above if you wish) and at bottling, add a little bit of cola extract (found at LHBS soda section) until the flavor is to your liking.

Don't add the soda extract pre-fermentation.

Have never heard of a dirty beer. Just curious, but where do people drink these? You would just pour half and half pepsi and stout?

My wife calls them a shandy not a dirty beer. I call it a waste of beer:D

:eek: that's not even a shandy. a shandy is a beer mixed with lemonade, ginger ale, cider, something like that. that dirty beer? my stomach just started asking me to leave this topic...

Im not a fan myself, too sweet for my blood. My buddies get them at the local pub in ossippee new hampshire, probably a term they made up with the bartender.

Latest posts

Back