Bottling a Barleywine that has been aging for 8 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Barleywine that I brewed in November '11. I transferred it to secondary in January and added Champagne yeast(per the instructions on Midwest Supplies' Bigfoot Barleywine kit). When I moved it I also put it on 1.5 ounces of Oak Cubes. I am ready to bottle it now hoping so that it will be ready in November.

My question is: Do I need to pitch more Champagne Yeast at Bottling(OG: 1.095, FG: 1.020 approx. 10% ABVl) or will there be enough viable yeast left in suspension after 8 months of batch aging to bottle carb this beer? If I do ad more yeast, would I just rehydrate an entire pack and add it to the bottle bucket?

Thanks for your time and expertise!

Nick

Honestly, with the length of time and the high OG and alcohol concentration, I'd add more yeast. I normally don't add more yeast if I'm bottling after 6-8 months.... those beers usually have to age in bottle for a long time anyway so a long time to carbonate doesn't matter. But if you want it ready by November I'd go ahead with the yeast. Add it to the empty bottling bucket and rack on top of it like you would priming sugar and that will give you a nice uniform mix.

Back