WL Kolsh Yeast lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I pitched a bottle of WLP029 in my Kolsch AG wort around 19 hours ago and the bubbler is not bubbling. I can press on the lid of my bucket and watch the plastic piece of my 3 piece airlock rise, so I have a good seal.

I know I should have made a starter, but the the guy at AHBS told me all I needed was some of this BrewVint yeast nutrient and it will take off like gangbusters.

My question now is how long does one wait till they toss in a packet of Nottingham to get the party started?:confused:

I recently had the same problem with a vial of the same WLP029. I made a starter on my stirplate and let it go overnight. Didn't see too much activity in the starter, but it seemed to have grown a bit, so I pitched it anyway (75 degrees). 48 hours later, nothing. I bought another vial, made and pitched another starter and had plenty of activity within 12 hours. Total lag was around 60 hours. Fortunately, my sanitation is sound, so I don't think too much damage was done. This is my second long lag in just a few weeks - I'll be a bit more diligent in the future in making sure that there is plenty of activity in the starter before pitching.

Thanks for the reassurance. It seems that this can be SOP for WLP029.

I will make a starter two days before I use this again.

I have noticed a 6-5 hour lag with WL american hefe, irish ale,and cali 5. but after that the starters I have made take off big time and when they hit the wort I almost want to stand back. My stout is currently sitting in the fridge with a blow off tube and I have never used a blow off tube.

Whooo Hoooo!

I checked in with SWMBO back home and WE HAVE FERMENTATION!

SWEET!:rockin:

Nothing like a 27 hour lag time for one of those "pitchable" White Labs Test Tubes.

I'll be making a starter for sure next time so I won't be stressing like I have for the last 18 hours.

Back