5 Gallon Batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
Im looking to start all grain brewing but only 5 gal batches. Could i get some info on the equipment i will need.
What size brewpot will i need,30, 32 qt? i have found a heavy 48 qt for 85 dollars 18 inches wide. is this way to big for this?
I have a 5 gallon water cooler is this to small for a mash tun?
Most info ive seen is for 10 gallon batches using 15 gal keggles. This is why i was looking at 30 qt pots for 5 gal. sorry if this is so elementary to some of you guys, but hey im trying,lol...skip.

You'll want a pot big enough to boil anywhere from 6.5gal - 8gal depending on what you are making. I use a keggle for 5 and 10 gallon batches. 5 gallon cooler is also fine for most brews. Bigger beers will need more space. I think you need to consider what you will be brewing and if you'll ever want to go bigger.

My recommendation would be if you can afford to go bigger, do it now.

Thanks kilted brewer, im surely gonna stay 5 gallons. i guess the 48qt pot wouldnt be to big in that case. i think its a pretty good deal.
Would most little simple walmart burners do ok, or will i need a bigger btu?

30qt pots are too small for a comfortable boil, 36qt would be borderline. Extra headspace is a plus in the kettle so your 48 quart is a good idea. There's also a thread floating around about a 60qt on sale at Cabelas for $59. It's probably not as heavy wall though.

The 5 gallon mash tun will be OK for most small to moderate gravity beers at 5 gallons. You won't be able to do any imperials or barley wines though. A 10 gallon cylindrical or 48qt rectangular would be good for that kind of flexibility.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00620000000P?mv=rri would pick up a coleman extreme 52 qt. i got mine at sears for around 25 bucks. i have plenty of space for more than 5 gal, this is with 14 lbs of grain-
1110081539-1.jpg

My 5 gallon cooler is the vertical type that stands upright and a bottom valve lets you get a drink..

With a 5 gallon, your limit is somewhere around 1.060. If you're ok with that, great. If you plan to batch sparge, you'll have to use 3 runnings as I describe in my all grain primer.

Back