Porter Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
I have recently taken to Fuller's Brand of Ale, and their London Porter in particular... quite a nicey.

Does anyone have any general Porter recipes they can share (prefer extract based) ?. My understanding is that it is traditionally a blend of 2 ales combined?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
J

jaymack said:
I have recently taken to Fuller's Brand of Ale, and their London Porter in particular... quite a nicey.

Does anyone have any general Porter recipes they can share (prefer extract based) ?. My understanding is that it is traditionally a blend of 2 ales combined?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
J

This is the current incarnation of my Holy Grail (I just bottled this batch last Tuesday and seems promising). It's pretty straight forward.

Grains (steep @ 155°F for 45 minutes)
8 oz Chocolate
16 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Black Patent

I actually also threw in 16 oz of 2-row base malt and did a half-assed mini-mash, but you can omit that part and just steep the specialty grains).

Extract
5.5 # extra light DME (or about 6.6 lbs LME)

Hops
2 oz EK Goldings @ 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
0.5 oz EK Goldings @ 0 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale)

If you want some more info about the origins of porter (summarized from my reading of Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers), I posted this thread a while back:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5781

-walker

I normally wouldn't post a recipe like this, but I bottled last night and was blown away by just how good this thing is turning out.

Grains (steeped at 150^F for 30 mins)
.5# American Crystal 20L You could use darker, this is just what I had around.
.5# Belgian Chocolate

Extract
3# Light DME
1 Can John Bull London Porter extract kit (pre hopped)

Hops
.5 oz Cascade @ 60 mins
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 mins

Yeast
I used the dry packet that came with the kit, although the 1028 Wyeast that Walker uses is definitely better.

I'm not sure if this truly counts as a recipe as it is just expanding on a kit, but man is it tasty. At 32 IBU (according to the recipator) it's on the high end of the hop scale for the style.

Walker's recipe looks a lot like the one I bottled a week ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed and waiting impatiently for it to be ready. When I tasted it on bottling day it was already good.

Back