Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonman

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about building my own brew setup but know nothing about the burner side of things. Going to go with propane. First question is what is the difference between low and high pressure propane as far as I'm thinking of using propane tanks, don't have a domestic propane for the house. Second what are you all using for burners in this type of setup? Also what is the best way to mount them? :tank:

I use a turkey fryer burner on my HLT. It is mounted on metal shelving brackets and angle iron. It is a bit slow and will eventually be replaced.

I have a Bayou Classic SP10 burner for my boil kettle. It sits on a wood stand to raise it to a height to drain my kettle into a fermenter. It will heat from sparge temp to boil in about 10 -15 minutes. I will probably get another one to replace the turkey fryer burner.

I have 2 Wally world turkey fryer burnes and they seem fine so far. The difference between the low and high pressure systems is BTU output capability. High pressure @ 02 around 30 PSI will get you 180,000 plus BTU, Low pressure will get you a bit less. High BTU's heat water faster, but also increase the risk of scorching you mash and extracts if you do not stir them completely in when you add them. My system is low pressure since I am in no rush to get a quick boil. I tend to believe a slower build to temp is better for flavor and efficiency, but I could be way wrong too. I dont have any empirical evidence to suport that theory so take it at face value. There are a lot of high dollar burners available and in a more advanced setting they may have attributes that would make them more neccessary, but for the hobby garage brewer a little slower is usually a good thing anyway. My propane tanks last a good long while too. I think the high pressure systems waste a lot of gas because they are so aggresive when on full tilt. Water will only boil so fast and attempting to speed it up usually creates other issues like boil overs, scorching, caramelization, and excess tannin extraction which adverly affect the end result. This is just my thoughts, YMMV, so don't base 100% of your decision on the answer of one fairly still new to brewing. Have a great day
Wheelchair Bob

I use a Bayou Classic SP10 ($50 from Amazon; free shipping too); takes about 25 minutes to go from tap water temp (around 70-80F) to boiling. It works just fine for me

If you've got the money, the Blichmann Burner ($150) is considered fuel-sipping and top of the line

Any update here? We are brewing with a turkey burner and I'm looking into the Bilchmann or Edelmetall. What did you end up going with? I'm brewing year round in Western MN (i.e. brew day can be -15 and windy) and a 10 min difference in boil time would be worth the extra money.

I went from Turkey fryer burner to Blichman hellfire and wouldn't even think of looking back.
Doing 5gal batches and a full boil I have cut my time to get to a boil in half. Recovery from dropping the immersion is way shorter. Central iowa and I cook year round.

What are your thoughts on an entry level homebrew burner compared to the turkey burner?

Back