Juice and grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cla

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new with this. I was picking up some Chambourcin juice today at the local winery and they did not have any where the grapes had already been pressed. So they put some juice in the bucket, probably about 70% full, and topped it off with grapes right out of the bin.
They had already added pectin and sulfite. My question is do I need to smash the grapes in the bucket or can I just go ahead and pitch the yeast? If I have to smash the grapes in the primary where it is filled almost to the top it looks like it will get very messy!

cla said:
I'm still relatively new with this. I was picking up some Chambourcin juice today at the local winery and they did not have any where the grapes had already been pressed. So they put some juice in the bucket, probably about 70% full, and topped it off with grapes right out of the bin.
They had already added pectin and sulfite. My question is do I need to smash the grapes in the bucket or can I just go ahead and pitch the yeast? If I have to smash the grapes in the primary where it is filled almost to the top it looks like it will get very messy!

You could pitch the yeast now, you just won't ferment the juice in the grapes.

If it were me, I would scoop out as much of the grapes you can, smash them, then add back to your bucket. If any grapes don't get smashed, they will when you press them out.

It's not uncommon for Pinot makers to leave 10% or more whole clusters...use some Lallzyme to help with the maceration of the whole grapes. Are you going to make this as a Rose since you have mostly juice?

Thanks novalou an helibrewer. I wasn't planning on rose. this is only my second batch of a red wine made from juice that I got from a winery so I guess I will just take what i get. I did spend an hour or so smashing the grapes though, maybe that will help. I pitched the yeast Thursday evening and if I can get Lallyze Sat evening would be the earliest I could mix it in. Is that too late?

cla said:
Thanks novalou an helibrewer. I wasn't planning on rose. this is only my second batch of a red wine made from juice that I got from a winery so I guess I will just take what i get. I did spend an hour or so smashing the grapes though, maybe that will help. I pitched the yeast Thursday evening and if I can get Lallyze Sat evening would be the earliest I could mix it in. Is that too late?

I've never used Lallyze. Fermentation should give you the color out of the skins.

Back