Maple Mead / Acerglyn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voicelex

AllGrains.net
Reaction score
Hello!

This will be my first mead and I would love some expert advice!

Important Info:
- I have searched for maple mead recipes but have not found too much consistent information.
- I love maple flavor (whether it be the maple/oak flavor in bourbon, rum or syrup!)
- I've been brewing beer for a about 9 months now.
- I found what seemed to be a successful recipe here(2nd post is what I'm using). Below is the important part;
- I have 3/4 of a gallon of organic grade B maple syrup and 10#s of honey.

6 Gallon Batch
"4 Liters of Canadian Medium Maple Syrup (Bought it in Canada so it's Liters )
12 Pounds Clover Honey
2 Teaspoons Fermaid
Water to 6 gallons
Lalvin D254 - 24 Grams

Here is the procedure I used following the recommendation of Wrathwilde, one of the GotMead.Com regulars:

"The best way to get the maple flavor is to add 1/2 the maple syrup up front and 1/2 towards the end of fermentation with D47. This will ensure that most of the unfermented sugars come from the maple syrup. I've done batches both ways; all up front and staggered... the difference in taste is extreme. Staggered is the way to go. K1V will likely take the batch to dry; D47 will leave you residual sugars. I've had very good results with Lalvin's D254, available here, and it would be perfect for the recipe as stated. Same as method as stated for D47. D254 is also good for lees aging.

Here's what I'd do.

Mix 1/2 tsp Goferm in 120 ml of distilled water @ 110(f).
Rehydrate 2 packs of D254 when temp drops to 104(f).
Mix honey and 1/2 of the maple syrup with 4 gallons water.
Add 2 tsp Fermaid K and 1 tsp DAP at the end of the Yeast lag phase.
Stir violently to aerate twice a day (1st three days only) if you don't have an Oxygen or air pump system.
A primary bucket is preferred during the first three days, for stirring and blow off concerns.
At the end of the third day pour the must (using a sanitized funnel) into a 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy.
Add 1 1/2 tsp Fermaid K at the 1/3rd sugar break
Keep in a cool place during fermentation, D254 can run hot.

When your airlock drops to 1 blip every 15 seconds give
your batch a good stir to degas before adding the rest of the maple syrup. Then stir well again after adding maple syrup, being careful not to stir violently or you risk aerating your batch. Your airlock activity should pick up considerably within 6 hours.
When your airlock drops again to 1 blip every 15 seconds rack off into your secondary carboy. Stir weekly. When your fermentation stops completely (stable hydrometer readings) rack again and bulk age as long as you can stand. I consider 6 months a minimum"."

I was thinking of turning it down to a 5 gallon batch, since I can only borrow a 6 gallon carboy for the initial fermentation, but can age in a 5 of my own.

Questions
1) Should I scale it down to a 5 gallon batch? If no; after racking a few times would it end up being about 5g? If yes; is there anything I should be wary of, besides my math skills?

2) I live in New England and have a basement that is around 65-75F. Is this ok for aging? I know the initial stage is ok to be a bit warmer, but I'm not sure about ageing. Also, does light affect mead after it is done fermenting? (curious about blue bottles)

3) Why do I find so few recipes for this?! It sounds awesome :D

4) What other advice can you wonderful gurus provide me? ^_^

Cheers and thank you so much!

I say NO, don't scale it down. It will be easier to fill a 5 gal secondary with 6 gal in your primary, that way you will have no headspace and you won't have to dilute it with water or something. If you have a spare 1 gal fermenter you can fill that up with the left overs and then use it top up if you plan on racking again.

That temperature should be fine. If you plan on using that yeast try to keep it as close to 60 - 65 as you can.

Try searching Acerglyn on here to see if anyone has done it before and what they have done to get the best tasting mead you can! After that, I suggest gotmead.com

My only other 'advice' is be prepared for a long ferment! My maple cider was still going after about 5 weeks.

So.... I brewed.

Things went a little wrong, but it was already bubbling only 5 hours later. Here's what I did:

Final Ingredients:
10# of Dutch Gold Clover Honey
96oz Grade B Organic Vermont Maple Syrup
1 tsp Fermax
~3.5 Gallons Water
VH SN9 Yeast

Procedure:
1) Sanitized
2) Heated all ingredients to 140F for 20 minutes. Cooled to 110F
3) Splash the must into fermenter with more water. Vigorously aerated.
4) Yeast starter; water & fermax. Visible start.
5) Immediately pitched yeast when the wort was at or below 80F

Yeast Soaked and Pitched at 80F
Original Gravity Measured at 60F: 1.114

---

First thing I did wrong; wasted half the maple syrup I got a great deal on and forgot to save it for a second addition of sugar later on. Second thing: isn't the OG a bit low?! I did the math and ended up adding a gallon less water than the original recipe called for.... wtf? Third: I couldn't find Lalvin 254 and I was told S9 would be better than D47.

Help!

Should I be shaking this bad boy? Should I be prepared to add more maple later on? With the different yeast, what should I expect for a FG? I have been so worried about making this for months... and I screwed it up. :'(

(the must sure did taste good though! mmmmmm)

I don't think you screwed it up, Just get a small amount of maple syrup down the line to add in to backsweeten, if that's what you plan on doing. It won't be for a good 3 or 4 months yet! I'm unsure of what type of yeast that is, but most wine/champagne yeasts would ferment that down to around 1.000 but be prepared for a little higher due to solids in the maple syrup.

Another thing is, you didn't need to heat up the ingredients, other than perhaps the water if you had trouble mixing the honey in. Once you heat honey you will find that sometimes loses the delicate smells that it would usually have in it. Unsure about the OG, but you seemed to have enough fermentables (around 3 pounds of honey a gallon is fairly standard) in there so don't worry about it :)

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better, I'll just hide it away in the basement for the summer and check on it in the fall :)

Cheers!

I will be taking a SG reading on this one soon... I meant to delete this post but I'm not sure how.

Update to follow

Read the SG today and got 1.018 which sets me at about 13.9% ABV. The fermentation has definitely stopped. Due to my frustration and inability to move it somewhere cooler it has been sitting in a pretty warm (70-90F) room for the entirety of the fermentation.

I bottled a 12oz of it to cool in the fridge and am drinking it right now. It is surprisingly smokey and maple tasting! I'm actually very pleased.

I added another quart of maple syrup today and 1tsp of Fermax and shook it like crazy. The room is still super-warm but I'm hoping it will start up again with the new sugars and ferment off to a lower SG. I like the sweetness... but it is too heavy, however I do have pretty solid confidence that this will age REALLY well :)

Should I transfer this to secondary?.. Should I expect it to actually ferment?.. .will this dry out a little more?... Is anyone here psychic? ;)

Seeing that you just added more maple syrup, I'd wait a couple more weeks and then rack it to secondary. If the yeast maxed out I'm not sure if it'll ferment any more. If they didn't then it'll probably ferment a little more and therefore dry out a little more. As for being psychic... I think it'll be really good with some aging and will turn out to be a very nice, sweet (not cloying) dessert mead with a smooth finish. Give it 6+ months to age in the secondary and it should be very drinkable.

Yeah, I was hoping to dry it out a bit more with the kickstart, but we'll see. I guess I have 2 more questions then;

1) How do I measure the ABV after adding more sugar? I didn't measure the SG after the addition of more syrup...

2) Would I be able to dry it out more by throwing in some (started) yeast of the same strain or would they die in the high alcohol?

Thank you! :)

Damn work net is so spotty I keep double posting... seriously though, where is the delete button?!

In response to your new questions...

1) Without some fancy equipment I don't think you can at this point. I think the general principle is you figure out what the OG and SG before sugar were. Then after you add the sugar take another SG reading and when it's done fermenting get the FG. ABV at that point should be (OG-SG1) + (SG2-FG). I think that's correct. Maybe someone can help out there if I'm wrong. As a side note... you might be able to get a hydrometer reading right now to see where it's at. Assuming your yeast pooped out I doubt it would have dropped too much since the sugar addition yesterday (and at least you'll have a general idea of what the SG is).

2) It might be possible to throw in a yeast starter of a champagne yeast that's vigorously going. Assuming the yeast you used poops out around 14% (which you said you were at before the extra sugar addition) then throwing in more of same yeast would be pointless as it won't go any higher. Plus if you just throw new yeast in they'll be a bit stressed as the mead is already at 14%. If you are trying to dry it out a little more you'll have to take it to a higher ABV. The only thing I could think of is get a starter going of champagne yeast. When it's going nice and strong, add in 1/2 C of the mead every half an hour. With any luck this will keep the yeast from getting stressed due to the high alcohol already present. If they slowly get used to it, then it should be better. When you get to about a quart/litre of starter just add it back to the mead.

This is all just my $0.02 though. I remember reading bits and pieces of problems like this in the forums. Maybe someone with a little more experience in this arena will step in, but I think that's the best (if not only) way to go in this situation.

Hope that helped!

Thanks for the additional advice, guess I shouldn't have added more syrup... The yeast seems to have stopped already. I will try the addition of more (acclimated) yeast this weekend.

I was going to say... 1.008 is usually a bit on the sweet side. Have you tried it since the addition to see how sweet it is now? Or at least taken a gravity reading to see where you're at? Granted everyone has a different taste. Maybe you like it on the sweet side. You could always serve it chilled as a dessert mead though. Little something to sip on after dinner.

So I ended up getting WL 099 (Super High Tolerance, up to 25% ABV) yeast. I tossed it in a 1L starter with some energizer, nutrient and 8oz of syrup.

Hopefully this will drop me down to a reasonable range, any advice for this yeast anyone? Should I be afraid of it taking it far past 1.000? I would prefer this to still be a mildly sweet mead, just not "thin honey, sweet." ;)

I'm losing my mind with this mead... Maybe it just hasn't been long enough since I pitched that "started" yeast but the fermentation is mighty slow, much slower than my 1 gallon batches that are cruising away.

My last guess was that the pH was too low... but I just measured it and it doesn't even register a change on the wine pH slip! It is either at 4 or above. I tested my other mead and it is at a nice 3.6 so the strips definitely work.

Help... or just tell me to shut-it and be patient.

Thanks a million :)

Shut it and be patient :) I'm pretty sure I already said that my maple cider took the longest to ferment out of anything!

Other than that you could add some acid in to lower the pH.. but you should be fine!

I was patient and it worked! Finally racked to secondary and had a gravity of 1.021! Shared the one bottle that didn't fit into the 5gal carboy at my Oktoberfest yesterday and everyone loved it!

I can't wait till it ages, hopefully this is repeatable! It was a crazy few months of mad science experiments.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Back