In carboy cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
As anyone used one of the plug in fermenter coolers? If you haven't seen it, it is a cooling bar attached to a thermostat that fits in the neck of a carboy and cools the wort from the inside. looks like a great idea if you dont have space for a BEER frig for the garage...... Discuss

Do you have a link? I've never seen or heard of one. If it's Peltier based it's unlikely to have enough capacity to keep it cool.

It doesn't look they have shipped any yet. They take pre-orders for September/October delivery.

Most likely Peltier based. Nifty innovation and small footprint. Anodized version will not hold up in wort/beer over time, regardless of any claims made. One microscopic scratch and it will start to corrode. So only the SS cladded rods have a promising future. Price is kinda steep if you ask me.

What you mean Peltier based? I was also reading that the anodized rods require iodine sanitizaton. This is a great idea even for ale temp regulation, but agree that $400 bucks is pretty steep.

Pricey... But I like the idea of compact space, and being able to hit a target temperature for each brew.

I'm really surprised that a Peltier device can pull that off. Mind you, the max temp difference between ambient and a carboy is 20F, so your house would have to be quite cold to be able to lager in a carboy. I wonder why a bucket is so much more efficient (max 35F difference)... the mass and high specific heat of the glass?

I'm very suspicious of their energy use claims though. For instance, why do their calculations assume the same duty cycle for their device and a freezer? If you're trying to cool to the rated maximum with the Peltier device (which is the only reasonable assumption given that it can only drop the temp 35F max) I would expect the duty cycle to be much higher than 25% Also, they don't include the 10W idle draw in their calculations, which would add another 65.7 kwh per year to the energy bill. Seems to me they're massaging the numbers.

What you mean Peltier based? I was also reading that the anodized rods require iodine sanitizaton. This is a great idea even for ale temp regulation, but agree that $400 bucks is pretty steep.

The formulas are a wee heavy, and not needed for a baseline understanding of thermo-electrics. But the overall descriptions and graphics are good.
Peltier effect, etc.

Right, Iodine is a non-acid sanitizer. But beer itself is acidic and one small scratch in the very thin anodized coating will expose the aluminum rod and develop into a deep pit or canyon over time.

I'm really surprised that a Peltier device can pull that off. Mind you, the max temp difference between ambient and a carboy is 20F, so your house would have to be quite cold to be able to lager in a carboy. I wonder why a bucket is so much more efficient (max 35F difference)... the mass and high specific heat of the glass?

I'm very suspicious of their energy use claims though. For instance, why do their calculations assume the same duty cycle for their device and a freezer? If you're trying to cool to the rated maximum with the Peltier device (which is the only reasonable assumption given that it can only drop the temp 35F max) I would expect the duty cycle to be much higher than 25% Also, they don't include the 10W idle draw in their calculations, which would add another 65.7 kwh per year to the energy bill. Seems to me they're massaging the numbers.

Good observations. The thermal difference is only part of the equation. The more important cooling capacity is not given, iow, how many BTUs can be drawn/transported per hour.

The buckets are cooled with 2 rods, the carboy only with one. Hence the reduced cooling capacity.

Also, I can stick 4 carboys or buckets in a freezer all being cooled at the same time for the same cost, alas all at the same temperature.

Although there are some questions, no real world tests yet, and the price is steep, their product does have a lot of merit, relying on the Peltier element's capacity, heavy insulation jackets, small footprint, customizability, and portability.

Yeah, all told it is a neat product even if the energy savings don't totally materialize.

They clearly salted the mine with that "$200 to run a used freezer" comparo bit. I mean, I actually owned a freezer that cost more than that to run for a year, but that was like 40 years ago, and the modern 10cf freezer/keezer I have now uses around $50 year to hold six kegs at 34°F.

As for the concept, you'd truly have to be desperate to make that choice, imo. The alternatives are more flexible, practical, and cheaper to buy and run...

Cheers!

Back