Licorice root, Sassafras, Birch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesClark

Reaction score
I have about 3 oz each of licorice root, sassafras root bark, and birch bark. I made a quick tea of each to see what they'd taste and smell like, and I'm thinking of coming up with a recipe using one or both.

The tea was made with roughly 1/32 oz of the herb and 2 oz of recently-boiling water, for 5 minutes. The birch had a light color, a moderate minty aroma, and a light, slightly sweet, "tingly" flavor. The sassafras was pink-ish with a strong anise-y aroma with a little citrus to it, and a light, bitter, slightly astringent flavor. The licorice was pale yellow with a light, tea-like aroma and a strong sweet, lasting flavor.

I was surprised at the light aroma of the licorice, and also at the sassafras being significantly more like what I think of when I think of licorice flavor. I'm thinking the licorice and sassafras might make a nice combination in a sweet stout.

Anyway, has anyone used any of these in a beer (root beer doesn't count here), or have any other recipe ideas?

I think licorice whould work well. Sassafras flavor might be overwhelmed by roasted barley. I would consider it for a lighter flavored beer.

I have no idea what birch tastes like. Maybe consider toasting it and using it like oak chips.

Do two batches, one an herbal/spice beer (porter or stout is typical, saison or amber might be interesting), the second a root or birch beer. It's a good time for homemade soda (great book here)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back