transfer to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husemoller21

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thinking of transfering my primary to secondary. This saturday will be 3 weeks. I was going to keep it in the primary until i was ready to bottle. But I came accross a 5 gallon carboy. So now im getting anxious and either bottle soon or put it in the secondary and free up my 6.5 gallon BB so I can start a new batch!

heres the link to my beer right now. some pictures and what not.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-beer-159132/

But I guess Im asking for any tips on switching the beer from my primary to secondary. I get scared I will mess up somewhere lol. Any ideas will be great thanks!

You transfer to the carboy if you want. Or you could bottle it if you want. As long as the beer is finished, either is fine!

Some benefits of transferring to a carboy are further conditioning, and some further clearing. The benefit of bottling now is to have the beer ready sooner. So, either choice you make will be fine!

If you want to transfer to the carboy (more properly called a "bright tank" rather than secondary, since there isn't any secondary fermentation that will happen), you can easily do that. Just make sure that the carboy and siphoning equipment is sanitized, and siphon "quietly", so that there is no splashing. If you put the tubing in a sort of circular pattern in the bottom of the receiving vessel, it'll transfer without any splashing at all and you won't have to worry about aerating your beer. I like to put my fermenter up on my kitchen island, with the carboy on the floor, since gravity really helps with the transfer.

Back