Adding sugar to help dry an IPA out.. need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
So this was recommended to me, but I've never actually done this before.

Do I add this to the mash? (i wouldnt think i do) Or can I just add this to the brew kettle and put the runnings right on top of it to dissolve so it wont carmelize by adding it later to the boil.

Also, what type of sugar do i use? Plain ol priming/cane sugar? or maybe Turbinado?

Also, how much should I use? I was thinking 1lb..?? Here's my grain bill:

13.00 lb Pale Malt
1.25 lb Munich Malt -
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd drop your 2-row by a pound and add a pound of dextrose during the boil. It should dry it out nicely. Also try mashing a little lower - around 150-152

Add your sugar like you would extract. Best choice is probably to turn off the heat and add it in for the last 10 min of the boil. Adding it to the wort before boil will work also.

Usually corn sugar (priming sugar) is used as it has the least effect of flavor. Table sugar would probably be fine also. If you want to add a little flavor then other types of sugar would work but be aware of their flavor contributions.

Craig

With that grainbill I would agree with the poster above. Drop the 2 row to 13# or so and add 1# of sucrose (table sugar). I typically mash my IPA/IIPA's in the 149 range for 75-90 minutes and add sucrose in last 5 minutes of the boil.

Use a highly attenuative yeast. Nottingham always works well for me on these styles.

All of these factors combined will dry out a beer nicely for you.

With that grain bill, and adding 1lb of corn sugar, i believe it would put me in 1.075 range, which is kinda where i want to. I'm going for a big IPA, almost DIPA. I guess i'll go with corn sugar since I don't really want the sugar to add any flavor.... just want it to help dry the brew out.

I also plan on mashing at 152*. I was going to use Notty, but I think i've changed and decided on using S-05

one more piece of advice; ditch the airlock and go straight for the blow off tube!

now, what's your hop schedule?

yea, this will probably be the first time i'll put my blowoff tube to work.

well you chimed in with my hop schedule, but i kinda tweaked what i had and just ran with that.

0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) (FWH) 21.4 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) (FWH) 23.0 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops

If you are looking for dry, why are you mashing at 152F? A couple degrees lower can do the job without adding sugar.

If you are shooting for an IIPA, i would add table sugar (sucrose), instead of corn sugar. Gives it that kind of signature tast that a lot of IIPA's have. Im doing one this weekend, and i always put sucrose in IIPA's. Drys it out a bit, and gives it a sweeter heavy mouthfeel

Is this an IIPA or just a regular one? Well, actually either way I think you are going to need a lot more hops. Also, there isnt much point to using multiple types of hops for the bittering additions or doing both a fwh and 60min addition.

Latest posts

Back