washing yeast, what size starter to re-use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I am planning on washing and saving some us-04 and 05 from some batches that will be ready in a few weeks. After I have yeast saved in jars in the fridge, how do I know what size starter I need to make?

I think I have a good handle on the washing and saving on the yeast, but I guess I'm still confused on the starter part. How much LME and water to I need to use?

Thanks!

I did a pint (16oz) starter for my last 5g batch, of wash Cali Ale Yeast. It worked well, airlock was going crazy in like 8-10 hours.

Ahh i can't remember the conversion LME:Water......My LHBS sells pre package LME for 16oz starters...I wanna say 5-6grams maybe?

For every 10ml of water add 1 gram DME for a 1.040 starter. 1000ml = 100 gram or 3 1/2 ounce of DME.

Making a starter is fairly straight forward but the question I have is how do you know the cell count of your washed yeast and thus how big of a starter you need? I think this was the OPs initial question. The MrMalty calculator assumes you are starting with a known number of cells (a vial or packets). I don't see how you can use MrMalty without knowing your initial cell count. I guess you could use the slurry option but you still need to know your initial cell count.

Seems like more work than it would be worth for dry yeast being as cheap as it is.

Thats what I'm starting to think. Its not much work, but I have some doubts on the results vs what I already know works.

I agree washing dry yeast is really not worth it.

The problem with the MrMalty calculator slurry option is you still need to know your yeast concentration and non-yeast percentage. Good luck trying to figure those two out.

The problem with the MrMalty calculator slurry option is you still need to know your yeast concentration and non-yeast percentage. Good luck trying to figure those two out.

I agree. So I err on the side of making too big a starter - I do a half-gallon starter for most of my ales.

Back