Carrot Cake Wine Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbkid

Reaction score
A friend and myself are tinkering with the idea for a Carrot Cake Wine, and I was wodnering if anyone had ideas for where we coudl derive the buttery/cream cheese flavor.
Currently we plan to have carrot, clove, cinnamon, and possibly almonds as the main ingredients.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for the reminder!
I forgot that vanilla is also on the list of ingredients, did you have other extracts in mind?

I put vanilla and almond extracts in a batch of Dragon's Blood I made. I have not officially tasted it, but while it was fermenting I was able to snag a few sips. It was rather nice.

Olive Nation has a butter extract. With things that are not really a "pure" extract, you may want to use them as a finishing flavor, rather than something put in at the beginning. Until you know how it would meld out over time, anyway.
Olive Nation

That was the other thing I was wondering....is this something you could MLF?

We made this carrot cake jam recently and it tastes exactly like carrot cake. In terms of spices, I'd add some nutmeg. I wonder what the pear and pineapple would do in a wine...

Carrot Cake Jam

Having never worked with spices like cinnamon/nutmeg/clove, how much would I want per gallon of wine to get the subtle flavor of it?

cloves are pretty powerful, only throw 1-2 whole cloves per gallon. Nutmeg can also be pretty strong but I'd add 1-2 whole nutmegs ground, as for cinnamon one big stick 6-8inches one cinnamon, not cassia, should do the trick. Do all of them primary as the fermentation will blow off some of it, then taste the finished product and add spices as a tea as necessary. Lactose is probably a good idea too for some residual sweetness (like frosting:) )

For some reason the hazelnut flavor of the liqueur Frangelico reminds me of butter.
Another one that might provide an interesting flavor, though maybe not so much "buttery", is Bärenjäger.

The base of your recipe, the carrot wine, will not taste like carrots when it done fermenting, it will taste like a nice white wine and be white, not orange (we have made this before). You could backsweeten with a lot of carrot juice to get the carrot flavor and color. Another idea would be to make your spiced carrot wine and forget about the icing flavor part, and just use it to pour over a big slice of carrot cake with icing on it :) WVMJ

Latest posts

Back