WTF is this?! Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
My boyfriend looked in the fridge this morning and found this. It's been bottled for almost 6 weeks and has been in the fridge for a few days. I've had multiple bottles from this batch that were fine, I think that maybe this one didn't sanitize properly. What do you think it is?:drunk:
DSCF6113.jpg

DSCF6114.jpg

DSCF6115.jpg

I think I'm going to open it up tonight and see if it's a gusher. Regardless, I'm certainly going to give it a taste, but I'd be curious as to wtf caused this hoopla.

Let us know. I would be surprised if that is anything other than an infection. I have never seen anything that even comes close to resembling that in a bottle of beer.

That looks like a tapeworm...

That's exactly what I thought. Was the bottle stored vertically or horizontally? Sometimes if you store them on their side the yeast will settle and make a trail like that but it's usually bigger and doesn't have such defined features.

I wouldn't even drink it. I'd open it up and see wtf that thing is, but I wouldn't drink the beer that's inside.

If it is an infection, I certainly don't want to miss the chance to see what an infection tastes like!

That's exactly what I thought. Was the bottle stored vertically or horizontally? Sometimes if you store them on their side the yeast will settle and make a trail like that but it's usually bigger and doesn't have such defined features.

I wouldn't even drink it. I'd open it up and see wtf that thing is, but I wouldn't drink the beer that's inside.

That is what I thought at first, but if you look at the last picture, that is clearly not settled yeast. Not sure exactly what it is, but settled yeast it is not.

Totally gotta taste it :)

The bottles were stored vertically and lived in the fridge vertically too. I'll certainly take photos of it. Maybe I'll keep it out of the fridge today so the photos don't have condensation on them.

Update - it collapsed when I pulled it out of the refrigerator.

Wait a minute, I have seen something slightly similar, before, several months back a n00b admitted that he thought you stored your beer bottles like wine on their sides while conditioning, and they had a band of yeast running up and down....but this....looks....Organic....and scary.

I really wouldn't drink it....

No way!! You gotta taste it! There is nothing that can survive in beer that is going to hurt you.

Nothing Earthly, that is;

alien_xl_05.jpg

ahahahaha

Is it sad that I feel this is a sort of rite of passage? It's my first infection!

What's the worst that could happen? The bottle went through the dishwasher, and with the rest of the beer, I used flawless sanitation techniques.

Worst case scenario, I get a good clean-out!

ahahahahahaahaha, I'm sure whoever got it would be very excited. I'd wrap it with pages from this thread printed out.

I store a lot of my bottles on there side and the sediment does not do that. It lays on the side of the bottle and when you set it up right it falls back to the bottom. That there is just crazy looking.

I have a crappy old dishwasher with a "heated dry" mode. I put about 3/4 oz of starsan in the cup when I run it though. I may just move to dunking bottles in starsan after this "experience"

I'm moving to kegging in a couple weeks, so I likely won't have to bottle very often at all. I don't mind starsan-ing a few bottles per batch and enough for the occasional beer that needs some time to age before drinking. The less "stuff" I have cluttering up my closet, the more beer I can store!

Back