Gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I've been working on improving the clarity of my beers, and between cold crashing and paying attention to water chemistry and mash pH I've seen a massive improvement. I think I'm about 90% of the way to where I want my beers to be. I picked up some gelatin finings to see if it gives me that last little bit of clarity. To get the best results, when should I add the gelatin? It will be going into a DIPA that has finished fermenting but has not yet been cold crashed or dry-hopped. I'm thinking that the gelatin would be most effective if I add it a day or two before I start crashing, and then dry hop after the yeast has settled out. Is this the best approach?

Gelatin is usually more effective if added into the beer after it is already at a cold temperature. So crash the beer to cold temperature, add the gelatin, wait 2-3 days for the gelatin to settle, add hops. Bear in mind sometimes a heavy dry hop will cloud your beer up a bit again. If you are really adamant about the clarity you can do the gelatin after dry hopping. It can pull a small amount of the dry hop aroma down with it when it clarifies, but that becomes a recipe adjustment of adding enough dry hop to compensate.

Back