Question about LME differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie1881

Reaction score
i found a recipe that calls for Dark LME so i was shopping around for the best price and found that morebeer.com has the best price for everything i need but they don't have a "Dark LME" the darkest LME they sell "I think" is there Munich Malt Extract would this work or is it something completely different? I'm very new to home brewing " I'm only on my second batch" any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thank you :mug:

They sell Dark DME, which I'd use instead. Just take the amount of LME your recipe calls for, multiply it by 0.85 and that's how much DME to use for about the same gravity points.

So if your recipe called exclusively for, say, 4 Lbs Dark LME @ an OG of 1.030, 4 Lbs LME*0.85= 3.4 Lbs Dark DME @ OG 1.030.

No problem. Just be sure to pull the kettle from the heat (shut down your gas or slide the kettle off of the element on an electric stove) before stirring it in since DME has a bad tendency to boil over in the blink of an eye. Just don't want you to have to scrub a bunch of glue off of everything you own. :mad:

If you ever run into a case where your looking for Dark or Amber extract and you cant find it you can still use a golden or light extract you just need to steep some Crystal/Carmel grains with it. The grains come in various ranging colors. Just look do some searches on the type of extract your looking for and most of the time you can find what they use in there. It always starts off with a Base Malt like 2 row then they add other grains to it. So for a wheat extract its 50% 2 row and 50% Wheat. Amber would be 2 Row and possibly Crystal 40 etc..

Back