starter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog2up

Reaction score
pitched wlp802 in .5 gallon 1.040 dme. its been 24 hours and still 1.040. never had this happen before - not sure if im screwed and should go by more yeast tomorrow or what.

any thoughts?

I'd give it more time than 24 hours. Chances are it's still in a lag phase. I'd say close to 1/3 of my starters don't show any visible signs at 24 hours with yeast that's no older than 2 weeks. If the yeast is older or wasn't handled well it can often take more time.

its a date of best by may 9th - so that's jan 9th production. i think its finally going now...starting to see more white on top as it swirls on the stir plate.

Did you aerate / oxygenate the wort? On a stirplate? If not, could be lag time. I always keep dry yeast packs as insurance.

yes aerated and on stir plate.

im thinking i better use bottled water for my starters now that in know the water profile..its probably why they are slow to take off - not optimal conditions for the yeast.

what do you think?

by the way, it did take off last night and finished this morning - im at 1.010FG so into cold crash and step up tomorrow night with another .5 gal of 1.040 wort (with bottled water).

water profile:
pH 8.0
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 283
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.47
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.3 / 5.4
ppm
Sodium, Na 114
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 4
Magnesium, Mg 1
Total Hardness, CaCO3 14
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)