AHS Promotional Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
BLACK ALE

Has anybody tried this? I couldn't pass up the price...I got an additional 10% off of the sale price.

This beer is malty with a slight roasty quality. It is black in color and cleanly hopped. It features Moravian Black malt, Crystal 90L malt and Warrior hops.

I've not yet bottled it but it seems as though the description is off by the sample I tasted when racking ot secondary. This is mighty hoppy (not necessarily a bad thing). The hops 16.4% at 1oz @ 60 and .5oz @10 gave it around 82 IBUs I believe. What style of beer would this classify as? Sorry, I don't have the full recipe with me ATM.

I'm thinking of bottling half of it and throwing some apricots on the other half. I've got some Aprihop in the fridge for after work. I guess that's giving me a bit o' craving. :D

I saw it for $19.99 today, and was wondering the same exact thing. Is it any good?

Black Ale is a style, like a Black lager or Schwartzbeir. Most of them use a de-husked dark malt and will be less roasty & less sweet than a porter. The hops should mellow a bit.

I'd grab a kit myself, but the freezer is full.

This stuff is actually quite good. I would definitely recommend it for the price. It was such a hit at my July 4th party that I only have about a dozen 12oz bottles left. In my sig it is the Kruit Bier which is Dutch for Gunpowder Beers. Hey, it was for July 4th and I needed a name for it. :rockin:

It is a blackish deep amber color with quite a pronounced hop bite. A bit more than I was expecting due to the description. Though it is not what I imagined, it is still rather tasty. Just be careful. The directions call for 1oz Warrior @60 and .5oz Warrior @ 10. They give you two one ounce bags and I almost used all of the second one. Now I need to find a purpose for this other .5 oz.

The alcohol boost appears to have some light DME mixed with the corn sugar. I didn't use it for the Black Ale but have used it on a couple of other batches.

Back