1/4 keg use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
My uncle just gave me all of his kegging equipment. One of the things he had was a 1/4 keg (I think it's a 1/4) thats kind of egg shaped. It doesn't look anything like the 2 - 1/2 kegs I have. What would you do with it? It does have a big wooden looking "cork" in the side of it for filling I guess.

Chances are if you look in the BBQ isle you'll find something similar, I have one, really the only thing to do is clean it (sanitize) disassemble all the valves, put them back in and use it as a fermenter, I think a size 14 with an airlock will work, put it on its side, use it as a secondary, or primary.. or a BBQ... serious...

After I read about Yuri's steam system I wanted to convert my 1/4 barrel to a S/G but... i had to move, really you can use it as a regular fermenter or if you can fina sanitary (READ: non-wood) plug you could use it as another keg but i wouldn't... never know what kind of pressure a plug like that will hold...

Sounds like you've got a Hoff-Stevens keg. I remember Ithaca Beer using them solely for their root beer, sealing each one with a new plastic/wood bung each time they're refurbed/refilled.

This guy even went as far to use one for his brew kettle:
Hoff Stevens Keg Brew Kettle

The two-prong tap for the H/S is a fragile pain in the ass, and since it's such a dinosaur, using the keg as a fermentation tank would be my first inclination. Still a sea worthy piece of stainless, old boy!

Sounds like you've got a Hoff-Stevens keg. I remember Ithaca Beer using them solely for their root beer, sealing each one with a new plastic/wood bung each time they're refurbed/refilled.

This guy even went as far to use one for his brew kettle:
Hoff Stevens Keg Brew Kettle

The two-prong tap for the H/S is a fragile pain in the ass, and since it's such a dinosaur, using the keg as a fermentation tank would be my first inclination. Still a sea worthy piece of stainless, old boy!

Thats the keg, but I was wrong on the size it's a 1/2. It says Jos Shlitz on the top and it looks really old. My uncle has had it in his basement at least 20 years.

Is it SS or Aluminum? If Hoff is would be SS, I assume. But some of those styles did come in Aluminum.

Back