something that affects us ALL: shipping yeast and summer heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdwardPaulsen

Reaction score
Hi All,
I know that many of us use mail order for brewing supplies, and it's no secret that summer heat is a danger even WITH ice packs.

I had an order arrive (I picked it up FROM the UPS man) with 2 vials of white labs english ale and a melted ice pack. Even after days of refrigeration the yeast would look like it had 'curdled' and it smelled lambic/brett-like when I opened it.

Is this an OK thing for this yeast? It expires in August and It wasn't TOO hot around here.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with shipping yeast in the summer?

Thanks,
Ed

You might also consider some of the several great strains of dry yeast for summer brewing.

Summer heat doesn't effect my yeast purchases at all.

I buy dry yeast exclusively. If I ever do get a twinge to mess with liquid yeast, I'd only buy it from the closest supplier I could find or just get it from LHBS.

I paid an extra $1 or so to have one company or the other use a 'yeast shipping bag' during the summer. I received the box (4 days) and the ice pack was still a bit frozen in the middle.

B

If you want liquid yeast and don't have a LHBS, I'd pay an extra few bucks and request the online retailer add a few more ice packs and some kind of styrafoam packaging. If you know its going to be hot, that would be the way I would go. On a side note.. do you have and distant relatives in the Upstate NY area? I'm a Paulsen too! :mug:

How long liquid yeast is supposed to live outside the fridge? Can it survive a 12 hour trip without an ice pack?

You could always order it from the supplier, I think White Labs sells yeast directly from their website, and I'm sure they'd package it properly. Also, pay the additional cost for 2day or next day service if it is necessary.

Your best bet would be to consolidate your yeast order for the summer, buy extra ice packs, order it on Sunday so it will go out Monday and pay for 2-day shipping.

Or buy dry yeast.

My big summer shipping problem is getting New York deli-style Italian Hots shipped from California. Can't find a good one in Oregon.

Latest posts

Back