First Timer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been browsing the forums and just picked me up 2kg of honey from a farm.

If I were to get a bucket from a bakery/pastry shop, would it most likely not have a seal? I'm not a bucket expert and have no idea what differentiates a sealed bucket and non-sealed bucket.

But let's say it didn't. Then could I just follow a great recipe on here, put the contents into the bucket, then shove the whole thing under the stairs for two months? Is it that simple?

Thanks!
WW

I suppose you could do that, but it would be better if you purchased a bucket, lid and fermentation lock. Should run about $15 and for me that would be money well spent to help ensure the best outcome possible.

The bucket doesn't have to have a lid while active fermentation is going on. But as soon as it slows down, you want the minimum amount of headspace possible. This usually means a carboy, since they have very small necks as to minimize the headspace. A bucket has WAY too much headspace, even when nearly full, since the bucket might be 10-15 inches across.

The bucket doesn't have to have a lid while active fermentation is going on. But as soon as it slows down, you want the minimum amount of headspace possible. This usually means a carboy, since they have very small necks as to minimize the headspace.

+2 I use a towel secured by a bungee cord to cover my primaries. After a week or so you need to move it into a carboy with an airlock and minimal headspace, as Yooper indicated.

Back