You want to brew in WHAT!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZCyclone

Reaction score
Ok, so another thread got me thinking we need one of these! The thread about which is better, glass of plastic carboys. Well, some of us got a bit off topic (Read WAY off topic) and it got me thinking, we need a place to post crazy idea and outlandish brewing ideas.

RULES:

This post if for FUN, no serious debates PLEASE. The point of this IS to get way out of hand with our ideas. For instance... "If I weld closed this trash truck... I could brew 876,895,432 gallons of beer in it" etc.

Trash talking? Sure, IN GOOD FUN.

I'll start.

Actually, every morning walking through the halls on the way to class we pass this HUGE super-OMG-way-over-the-top-built-to-go-to-the-bottom-of-the-challenger-deep rolling trash bin. It's made from some seriously reinforced HDPE. It's in the chem building and has a HDPE liner that is maybe .5" thick, an outter layer that is .5" thick of some unknown FRP, and then it is steal frame reinforced. The casters on it are maybe 10". I'm pretty sure this thing if for serious chem spills or something of the such. It has to be 600 gallons. Yes, I did the math and it came up to 598.25743 gallons... Yes I'm that kinda nerd!

Anyway, I told you that story to tell you this story. Every morning when we walk by it...I say DAMN that would hold a lot of beer!

My friends think I have a problem... lol.

I'll try to get a pic next week!

My 50 cubic foot wheel barrow would work. Best part is I wouldn't have to lift it to move my beer around!

Hey hey that's great! Build a big ramp to get high enough to empty? Or just build a big hooka set up around it? lol.

I shoulda snagged a 110 gallon overpack drum from my last job before I left. Dang, I would've been 1/6 of the way to your chemical spill tote. Btw, those plastic cubes with a reinforced cage are called totes.

Actually, every morning walking through the halls on the way to class we pass this HUGE super-OMG-way-over-the-top-built-to-go-to-the-bottom-of-the-challenger-deep rolling trash bin. It's made from some seriously reinforced HDPE. It's in the chem building and has a HDPE liner that is maybe .5" thick, an outter layer that is .5" thick of some unknown FRP, and then it is steal frame reinforced. The casters on it are maybe 10". I'm pretty sure this thing if for serious chem spills or something of the such. It has to be 600 gallons. Yes, I did the math and it came up to 598.25743 gallons... Yes I'm that kinda nerd!

Anyway, I told you that story to tell you this story. Every morning when we walk by it...I say DAMN that would hold a lot of beer!

My friends think I have a problem... lol.

I'll try to get a pic next week!

You must be a little more self-aware, because I'm sitting here thinking, "this could work...if we had pictures we could get an idea for the temp control system." Maybe you should add a disclaimer to the thread: if you don't consider the proposals in this thread outlandish, seek help. Trained personnel are standing by on our live hotline 1-800...

You'll need a few. One to mash in, one to boil in and one to ferment in!

No worries, we once unloaded a ****ing semi full of the things into our supply warehouse, which was just an abandoned loading dock in an old run down factory next to our plant that we bought for, you guessed it, extra land to store hazardous waste before disposing of it. Anyways, we had to unload I think 50 or so of them plus another 100 or so 55 gallon poly drums and a bunch of other labpacking eqpt.

Thinking back, that job was a gold mine for the Macgyver brewer in me. I still keep in touch with some of my old coworkers. I'm wondering if I can get my hands on some 10 gallon poly drums for fermenters. and some 15 gallon lab pack buckets for grain storage.

I shoulda snagged a 110 gallon overpack drum from my last job before I left. Dang, I would've been 1/6 of the way to your chemical spill tote. Btw, those plastic cubes with a reinforced cage are called totes.

Oh yeah for sure, I know totes. This is NOT a tote! lol. I would bet you money you could put a small car in this and push it around.

But Totes ARE a good idea... Hmmm.

Oh yeah for sure, I know totes. This is NOT a tote! lol. I would bet you money you could put a small car in this and push it around.

But Totes ARE a good idea... Hmmm.

Now that I think about, totes are usually only about 250 gallons and sized to fit in the footprint of a standard pallet. Wowzer, that 600 gallon bin must be a beast. Please post pics ASAP.

I saw something along these lines on Craigslist a few months ago. I was saving it for an April Fools Day thread, but this thread seemed just as good. It's even conical.

I think Nasa has a few conical fermentors lying around:
6055d1239906803-nasa-kennedy-space-center-rocket-garden-2.jpg

We will NOT be degrading the legend of the SiV-B WILL NOT DO IT! However, the burner idea I'm ok with!!!

I walk past these every day at work... they used to be used for a water filtration unit that we no longer use....

IMG_20130301_130009.jpg

I walk past these every day at work... they used to be used for a water filtration unit that we no longer use....

That's magic to your ears. Get them to let you take them home and fill them with beer for the company picnic. Then they unfortunately never get returned and now you've got a badass fermenter.

Here was something I posted in the other thread, repeated here by request:

The City of West Lafayette recently distributed 48 gallon recycling totes compatible with their automatic lift trucks to everyone. The first week, ours was overflowing, so they left a note suggesting we call them and swap it for a 96 gallon tote at no cost.

I stared at it trying to find a way to fit an airlock for just a little too long before thinking, "No way." But.. 96 gallons... The rational lobe of my brain is growing uncomfortable with the increasing influence of the prefrontal brewing cortex.

34767-C201206-OFG-11-Swimming-Portage-Park-Pool.jpg

I used to lifeguard at one of Chicago's public pools and it was one of the only olympic sized ones in the city. Anyways, it would probably make for some badass lambics!

LabRatBrewer said:
Every morning I see this and think it would make a nice community fermenter:

I actually laughed out loud when I saw this post. I think it would work!

I gotta think temperature control would be a *****.

With that much mass? I donno. It is already metal, just polish it up like a SS keg and that would held A LOT! Then umm, build a geo thermal rig to run as an heat exchanger! Bada BOOM!

I stared at it trying to find a way to fit an airlock for just a little too long before thinking, "No way." But.. 96 gallons... The rational lobe of my brain is growing uncomfortable with the increasing influence of the prefrontal brewing cortex.

Who needs airlocks?! Just toss something non porous and sanitized on top of it until fermentation begins, then swap out with a large sheet of cheesecloth or terry cloth on the top. When it's about done, seal it back up!

I used to lifeguard at one of Chicago's public pools and it was one of the only olympic sized ones in the city. Anyways, it would probably make for some badass lambics!

That brings a whole new meaning to 'regional bacteria.'

EDIT: The Brett may actually be referring to a guy named Brett!

Clean the toilet, shut off the water valves and silicone the first lid down... POW!

Or as I said in the other thread, Colonoscopy bags! SUPERCHEAP IF YOU BUY THE RECYCLED ONES!
I know this is a bit small but I was thinking for test batches only!
A56C9B58-D2DA-4E85-895B-A437B3BC03E2-3070-000003452A9F9AED_zpsd450744f.jpg

(Thats not me by the way)

I think the Death Star could make for a decent size fermenter... Oh, and thats my ship I use to travel back and forth to service it.

death star.jpg

seinfeld-kramerica.jpg

I'm pretty sure Kramerica makes rubber bladders capable of fermentations like in your gross RECYCLED COLONOSCOPY BAGS.

Ha ha, yeah yeah. To funny! I tired to get a pic of that big cart on the way home from my lab, but I forgot. I was ready to get home anyway, it was Friday after all!

34767-C201206-OFG-11-Swimming-Portage-Park-Pool.jpg

That water might need some campden first...

Back