Culture/Test Tube Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
I have been looking around online for a source of culture/test tubes for some yeast freezing and can't find anything locally. I called my LHBS and they don't stock em.

Any suggestions where I can look locally before ordering online and paying shipping on something so trivially small?

I always thought of using the breast milk bags for freezing yeast (yes, I recently had a child). They are smallish ziplock bags designed for freezing breast milk. I do not know if they would be sanitary, but I imagine the standards for baby food anything are pretty high. You can google "breast milk freezer bag"

Catfish said:
I always thought of using the breast milk bags for freezing yeast (yes, I recently had a child). They are smallish ziplock bags designed for freezing breast milk. I do not know if they would be sanitary, but I imagine the standards for baby food anything are pretty high. You can google "breast milk freezer bag"

Interesting...thanks for the suggestion and somewhat scary google image search!

Looking at the bags it seems like they might be a little more difficult to use and store than standard tubes that I can arrange in a rack but I will definitely check them out at CVS in the next couple of days.

I was hoping to a local supplier of capped culture tubes since they are pretty dang cheap but I suppose I have to decide if I want to go with a kit (http://65.181.150.199/Winestore/BeerAccessories.htm, lower right) or order some tubes from an online supply house and source the rest locally....

Bike N Brew said:
EDIT: oops, didn't see the part where you wanted local. Sorry :eek:

Neither did I. It might help a little to know where you are. I'd check school suppliers maybe....

...Craigslist?

I've got nothing.

kvh

woops..thought that was already in my profile...Phila metro

Did a few searches the other day for teaching/school/science/chemistry supplies and finally found a few hits with "lab supplies" this morning.

I resorted to Ebay after I found a seller that shipped USPS so I now have plenty of tubes on the way for some yeast banking!

Back