? Adding Sugars After Fermentation For Flavor (Only)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyKy

Reaction score
I would like to add cane sugar to a batch of Imperial Honey Oatmeal Stout that is already at 14 days into fermentation. I am adding cane sugar only to exploit the earthy flavors to deepen and provide sublte balance to the malts, oats, and mild yeast ester flavors.
OG=1.084.
TEST GRAVITY AS OF 9/19/12=1.024
CURRENT ABV=8%
BATCH SIZE=13G ÷3 fermenters
YEASTS=4PACKS WYEAST IRISH ALE
CANE SUGAR =1LB CONE COMPRESSED SUGARS ONLYx8lbs
ATMOSPHERIC FERMENTATION TEMP@ 69-70 and holding
There IS evidence of fermentation even after 14 days.

Has any anybody attempted to gain flavor by adding "flavor" sugars this far into fermentation?
Must the sugar be boiled into water prior adding to the batch?

I know this may dry or increase FG in this batch of beer and I'm fine with those potential results. I would like to avoid sweetening but will accept that result if it occurs.
I have brewed this batch before and it is a flagship among the recipes I created, however I have not used cane sugar at this point in the process

cane sugar is 100% fermentable so you probably won't get anything from it besides a boost to ABV.

Also, cane sugar is a simple sugar and yeast usually ferment all the simple sugars FIRST, then go for the more complex sugars. If you add simple sugar late in fermentation, the yeast may end up eating all that and then get tired and not move back to the complex sugars.

If you want to add sugar "for flavor" then you need to either caramelize them, use a dark sugar to begin with, or use unprocessed/unrefined sugars like Jaggery or Turbinado.... If you make a caramel or use a darker sugar, there's a mailard reaction from the process that creates some unfermentables in the sugars, and that is what leaves flavor behind when fermentation happens.

Besides boosting the ABV, cane sugar additions will drop the FG and give the beer a drier finish. Its almost required in many Belgian brews to lighten the body, but not sure it will do what you want it to here.

Back