Cider taste like....Rubber Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamRunner

Reaction score
Hey everyone so at the begining of July I jumped into my first 3 1 gal batches of cider. All 3 taste like my rubber stopper and its a pretty strong taste. I used a different recipe with each one and one of them I only added yeast and nothing else. The cider never touched the stopper and I used Starsan on everything. Will this mellow out? what can I do? Thanks.

Being a total n00b I would love to find out what caused this so that I can avoid it. I hope you get an answer! :mug:

Is it kind of a plastic band-aid taste? I'd guess that since you were fermenting in July, that you didn't control your temperature and ended up fermenting outside the recommended temperature range for your yeast.

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction. It gives off heat, so the temperature of your must is going to be 8-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature. Most ale yeasts (non belgians/lagers) ferment properly in the range of 65-75 degrees. Thus if the ambient temperature of your fermentation room is 75+, then your must is going to be fermenting at 85+ which will lead to horrible band-aid tastes. At least in my experience.

During the summer I almost always have to brew in a swamp cooler, with cold water surrounding my ferment and swapping out ice packs to keep the temperature down.

Yep, NYC is right, I've gotten that rubber stopper taste & smell a few times, took me a while to figure it out but it was a temp ctl problem. The good news is that it will age out, all mine did. Regards, GF.

Back