Quick Skeeter Pee Variant (from WMT)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detlion1643

Reaction score
So I found this variant of Skeeter Pee on WMT called Dragon Blood. It seems rather simple and uses less fruit per gallon.
Dragon Blood

I whipped up these quick variations to see how the adventure turns out. Planning on starting tonight/tomorrow, so if there's any changes that should be made, please give some feedback!

Both will be started in buckets, with lids set on, not snapped. At FG, under 1.000, They will be racked to 5g carboys with k-meta and Sorbate. After clearing, they will be backsweetened to taste and bottled.

Batch 1 (5g):
48oz 100% Lemon Juice
5 Cans 100% Strawberry Concentrate (I normally do about 10-12 cans for 5g by itself)
1 tsp Tannin
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 Gallons Water (slightly more than 5g total, but accounting for racking once)
Sugar to about 1.085

Batch 2 (5g):
48oz 100% Lemon Juice
2 Gallons 100% Blueberry Juice
1 tsp Tannin
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons Water (slightly more than 5g total, but accounting for racking once)
Sugar to about 1.085

Better outcome if you allow them to clear to some extent first, then sorbate/k-meta, then backsweeten. Too much yeast & debris in solution will interfere with the sorbate process. Are you inverting the sugar like Skeeter Pee or just combining?
There is a blueberry variant, uses all blueberry instead of the fruit combo in the Dragon's Blood but it also uses ripe bananas and oak. Cannot recall how much banana or oak. But it is quite good!

Where are you getting cans of strawberry concentrate? Is it 'Strawberry Breeze' or similar?

I didn't invert the sugar. I actually changed up the strawberry to use fruit instead of the cans.

This is what I whipped up last night:
- 32oz Lemon Juice
- 8lbs frozen strawberries
- water/sugar to 1.085
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast energize
- 5 tsp yeast nutrient
- montrachet yeast

I forgot to make a starter, so we'll see how it goes. It hasn't started yet as of this morning, but I'm not fretting it. I'm sure it will!

Since I pitched the yeast 6/23 before bed, I decided to take a reading today. It's only been 3 days, but it's already down to 1.015. Tastes young and sweet at the same time. Looking forward to the next reading in about 3 days!!

Back