I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a nice thread, it´s 7:46 Am (it´s still dark so I consider this nigth time), my boss day off slow day nothing to do but log on to hombrewtalk, by myself in the office sipping a nice coffe... now that I think about it I can wear just boxers and be ok with it, no cameras or anyone around or expected to drop by :p.

Go ahead and get comfortable... strip down to your boxers.. It's 1:51 AM here.

Ok I'll take a guess. Because the center of the round piece is threaded. The posts you machined are threaded. The connecting piece is a clutch?

Like a clutch hub assembly thing?

Hey Bobbi I have not seen you much. Been brewing or burning the house down.....Say I think a song is needed

Haha, great song! Fires have been contained to the woodburning stove. Hoping to brew another batch the next couple days, outside!!

Hey Bobbi how did your first AG batch go? I picked some grain and hops today and will probably be doing mine next weekend, I need to get a propane tank.

Hey Bobbi how did your first AG batch go? I picked some grain and hops today and will probably be doing mine next weekend, I need to get a propane tank.

Well, I started it inside on the stove, but the weight of the bigger pot pushed the electric burner down into the stove and caught it on fire. The stove is okay though, except that one burner. Then I moved production outside, luckily I had plenty of propane. It went great! Did BIAB and it wasn't really any different than mini mashes I've done, just more grain and bigger equipment. I'll be starting another batch soon!

Just noticed you were reading Atlas Shrugged 12/18/12 What was your opinion? I kind of thought that if it was published today it would be under the Harlequin Romance label. Interested in your opinion. And what actor/ Actress would grace the cover.

I'm still reading it. ;) My schedule and then the kids means most of my reading is done on the nights I do the desk at work, but lately we've been finishing up yearly evaluations so I've been moving slow. I tend to agree that if written today it wouldn't have the same appeal as it did during the 'communist invasion' times of the 50's.

So I'm on a counter terrorism detail for overtime, normally a nice night, but on the previous tour someone got caught in a compromising position so now of course the big boss is on our asses. Oh well, at least I have the run of Manhattan for the night rather than being stuck in my normal .75 sq mi precinct!

Found myself asking the same question more than once. This place can be addictive. But I gotta hit the rack now. To much stuff to do tomorrow. G'night all.

Great. I guess it'll just be the airborne and snaps show tonight. In bored out of my mind and exhausted. Perhaps I'll watch something on Netflix.

Hey airborne a friend of mine is going to new york next month... what beers/brewpubs/breweries would you recomend? anyone from arounf NY can chime in too :p

Where is he staying? In the city itself? Definitely Brooklyn Brewery, it's in a really fun area of Brooklyn with a ton to do. After that, Eataly had a brewery on top called Birreria run by Sam Calagione from Dogfishhead. Also Heartland has a few locations throughout the city. The one on 43rd right off Times Square (my turnout point tonight coincidentally) is my favorite, great burgers. There's also Sixpoint in Brooklyn that turns out some fine beers.

For bars, the Gingerman and Burp Castle are both great, along with Jimmy's #43 (up stairs from Burp Castle) and McSorley's for nostalgia down the block.

First time noticing this thread.... But also first time on hbt late night it a while, so I suppose that's no surprise. Guess I'll swing by whenever the baby's resistance to sleep outlasts my wife's patience. Like now. :p

My daughter is putting new teeth in as fast as she can. Just when she starts sleeping a full night a new one breaks through and she's back to waking up during the night.
My wife has a bottle of rum next to the rocking chair in the nursery. She jokes that she pours a shot, sticks her finger in and rubs a little on the baby's gums, then takes the shot.

Ouch. Mine is on her 7th and 8th teeth. I almost wish they'd all come in at once and just have one week of hell.

iaefebs said:
Ok I'll take a guess. Because the center of the round piece is threaded. The posts you machined are threaded. The connecting piece is a clutch? Or a pump?
I'm not totally sure which piece you're looking at but the one that is on the granite between centers is for a piece of equipment that is inserted down a hole that has been drilled into the earth, where is spins at 80,000 rpm while emitting microwaves. It's used once then it's dead. It is used in assessing the yields of oil and gas reservoirs. The Astrolab stamped piece is some sort of an electrical component I'm pretty sure because it actually had to be silver plated over the brass which is what you're seeing.
Dan said:
I know you're not trying to be, but that is pretty impressive BB. Making stuff is pretty cool. I make things in the garage but not to any specs. Being a machinist is an art and science I believe.
It is a very satisfying job, and I'm fortunate to have it. It does take an interesting mix of skills to be good at it, because like you mentioned it takes both creativity and precision. It's becoming increasingly hard to find people who are able and willing to do this work. A lot of smart people don't like being on their feet for 10 hours a day, etc. Kids these days don't want to have to work hard.
Varmintman said:
Dang BB I dable a bit on my mill and lathe but it would take me a month of Sundays to machine that one rack. Dang last time I chucked anything up in a mill it took me 45 minutes to get it within .001.

I have used a point to point some and wrote code for them but you know the tech changes so fast that if you do not keep on top of it you loose it. So I just tinker around making useless stuff I will use someday:cross:
Things change constantly. A thou would be hard to work with on a lot of these parts, it probably wouldn't be wise to post the print I'm working from on the Internet but I'm holding .0002 on many of the dimensions on what I'm currently working on. That cart full of parts is these things, they are actually two pieces which I make separately then machine together at the end, them do a little assembly work. Here's a few other things I've been working on. Ok I am showing off now Dan ;)

image-16376568.jpg

image-1251888369.jpg

image-3057589630.jpg

image-4061114720.jpg

Sharps - I keep meaning to ask you: did you make that Union Jack clone? If so, how'd it turn out?

Wow! Last night got out of hand. Never made it back to here.

I haven't made it yet. I couldn't get everything I needed when I went to the brew store so I bought stuff for a few other beers.
I need to email him and see if he can't put together what I need plus the ingredients for some barleywine.

I also need to change my info since I don't seem to keep it updated.

Just tonight, out of nowhere my son came over to me and gave me a huge hug. Definitely made my night! And I had grounded him today so it was all the more a surprise (and no Creamy - I'm not trying to fool you - last night was a *much* different experience :D )

Yeah my daughter does that but in places like school it embarrasses her.

A hug and I love you daddy does make you feel pretty good though.

My wife listened to my son talk about how his step dad really loves him, and I don't. And I'm weird and don't understand because I don't like video games. (His mom is a video game addict and me her husband online gaming while we were still married. I'm obviously not a fan)

I got to sit down and tell him that even though I didn't buy him a 42" tv for his room and I don't let him play video games has nothing to do with me loving him. And explain that he's only spent 3 1/2 weeks with him in the 2 years he's been their step dad. That he doesn't know what he'll be like.

Aaaahhhh parenthood.

Man, that is a hard one to deal with.
Being the responsible parent can be tough.
The kids can tend to think that the irresponsible one is more fun and maybe he loves them more.
If the other parent doesn't pay any attention to the kid sometimes the kid even gravitates toward them more.
All you can do is keep trying.

Damn, bottlebomber, those are some intricate parts. Like Cad and then set the machines to press them out? Fancy machines you got there....

I have 2 kids, one in college, one goofing off. My son spent 4 years in the Navy training as an electrician's assistant, his college paid for but he's still taking a break. Daughter is finishing up her first year of college.

BobbiLynn said:
Damn, bottlebomber, those are some intricate parts. Like Cad and then set the machines to press them out? Fancy machines you got there....

I get a .pdf solid image from the customer along with the blueprint, which I import into our CAD/CAM software and then when I've decided how I want to machine it I plot the tool paths onto the image and it generates code that represents what I told it to do. Basically I am virtually machining it first and it gives me the code that the machine needs to see to do the same thing. There is a lot of editing to do and it can get pretty scary the first time you run a part, but after that it's pretty much gravy. When I started here in 2000 my boss made me program everything using trig, paper and a calculator. I like this way better. Basically the machine has a tool magazine from which is selects the appropriate cutter and does a machining operation. Then it changes tools and does the next tool. Spot face, drill, tap, etc. This machine fully outfitted runs a little over half a million dollars. I haven't crashed it yet ;)

image-138395356.jpg

image-1597343386.jpg

image-39933529.jpg

I need some Heady Topper. Any night owls able to help me out with this? I keep hearing about it, but it is unavailable to those of us out here. Perhaps a bottle trade?

snaps10 said:
I need some Heady Topper. Any night owls able to help me out with this? I keep hearing about it, but it is unavailable to those of us out here. Perhaps a bottle trade?

There are some that can get it. Even for those that are within the distribution area it is difficult to get evidently because the stores that get it sell what they've gotten within hours. You'll probably just have to start a thread and see what you can rustle up. Hopefully you can get some good beer to barter with.

I keep hearing about beers I can't get too.
Of course I live in the sticks so there's a lot I don't have access to.

Hey what are you saying?? ;)

You are a smart guy. :p

My Dad worked at a machine shop in his younger years and worked with CAD. He could practically walk into that huge shop and go back to his computer and have all those machines running, making stuff. I'd help him and run around and make sure nothing was getting stuck, holler to him if it was, around ages 6-12. He started the company Kingston Metal South.

Slow night on here.
I was out being stupid last night and this thread was busy as hell.

I'm home tonight and nobody's here!

Latest posts

Back