Extract brewers question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 32qt that I used when I started which is big enough to be used with AG now.

You can effectively, assuming 5 gallon batches (and 3ish gallon boils) use a 16-20qt pot or bigger. Bigger is always better, it will minimize the chances of boil overs...

There are good deals online, look at restaurant supply stores.

I like big. mostly because of the boil over factor but also the more water you can use in the boil the less sugar concentration and less chance for scorching on the bottom. That said, something with a heavy bottom is better. I like to brew on an old wood cook stove I have in the basement (translated: man cave). The stove heats even across the whole bottom of the pan so I can use a large enamel on steel canning kettle without scorching. On a regular stove, electric or gas, I would opt for a heavy bottom stainless stock pot that will hold at least 8 qt with a head space of not less then 4 inches. For me that would be the smallest. And just remember: it will boil over, at least once. So plan on having a big sticky mess to clean up and think of it as a welcoming to the club.

I boil 2.5 gallons and use a 16 qt pot. You have to watch it closely. Bigger wouold be better.

Fermcap is a great solution if you're cutting it close to your boil volume...

Im on my 5th batch and use a 20qt pot with a 2.5g boil. Today brewing an Ipa with dme was the only close call I've had. Otherwise I have never had any problems.

I use a 20qt. stainless I got a target for $40,and do a 4 gallon boil in it, so far never had any issues with boil overs, for some reason the foam on top of the boil seems to break up super fast in this pot.

Back