I have a lot of sediment in my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I made a BIAB batch today using 10lbs of grain. I did the boil and added a whirlfloc tablet about 15 minutes from the end, as suggested by my Beersmith recipe. When I emptied the kettle into my carboy I still had a large amount of sediment that went in with it. The kettle itself is a 10 gallon Blichmann, with the dip tube attached to the spigot, so I get everything on the bottom. I tried to whirlpool it too. I probably didn't wait long enough after whirlpooling it for it to be effective, and probably made it worse.

Anyway, I have the cooled wort in my 6 gallon carboy and about 3-4 inches of sediment are sitting on the bottom, with almost completely clear wort on the top. I haven't pitched the yeast yet as I'm letting it cool a little more, but in the meantime I'm seeing how clear the top is and I'm wondering if I should siphon the clear top into my other carboy and leave all the sediment behind, and then pitch the yeast. I've never done that, I usually just let it ferment with the sediment, and the clearing that happens once fermentation slows down is an indication that it is getting done.

One other factor, I won't be home next weekend and for another week or maybe two to put it into a secondary, so it would either be sitting on the sediment the whole time, or take off completely right now.

So, should I transfer it now to the other carboy and leave the sediment behind?

Whenever I go from kettle to fermenter I never worry too much about pouring in a bunch of break. It settles out quick enough and has not affected my beers even with 2 or more weeks in the primary.

bosco

Bosco's right, it will all compact and settle with the rest of the trub. It' will be fine to leave it alone. In fact by not racking, and letting it sit for 3-4 weeks, it will compress even further.

Here's my aerated wort after separating the clear wort from the sediment and the sediment left behind. As you can see I went ahead anyway. I already had all the equipment out so I figured I'd just do it.

image-3205706180.jpg

image-1477742779.jpg

I thought about that. I transferred from my 6 gallon to my 5 gallon. The 6 gallon was almost full because the calc has trub loss built in, but I ended up with all the trub in the carboy. It was supposed to be a 5.5 gallon batch. Usually by the time it ends up in the 5 gallon secondary I'm fine.

The carboy is on my porch with my garbage can cooler inverted over it to block the light. If anything blows it'll be contained, and easily hosed down. I still have stains on my ceiling from when my last wheat beer blew.

I think it released its own pressure. The airlock was slightly ajar, but not blown off.

Because the wort is so clear, you can see the bubbles in that carboy. It looks like a giant carbonated beer after the cap is popped, or maybe more like champagne. The krausen is also perfectly formed, no crud in it, and very even. I'm liking the way this is going.

It is also very cool outside, mid 60s top today, and same for tomorrow. The fermometer on the side says 68, which is good. If it were warmer outside, I'd have put it in my basement where the temp stays steady, probably in my garbage can cooler with a water bath to keep it even more steady.

And here's why it wouldn't blow - there's no sediment or hops to clog the airlock! I was watching it this morning as the foam bubbled through the airlock without clogging it. Most batches have enough stuff to clog it up.

Back