Sour Raspberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysbrew2012

Reaction score
Sour Raspberry Pale Ale

Steeping Grain
1 lb Crystal 10L
steep to 150-170 degrees and remove grain bag

Fermentables
3 lbs LME after steeping
3 lbs Pale Malt Extract (15 mins left into boil)

Bring wort to boil

Hops
Add 1 oz Pacific Gem at 60 mins
Add 1 oz NZ Hallertau with 5 mins remaining

Clarifiers

Whirlfoc with 5 mins remaining
1 teaspoon Pectic Enzyme after 3 months

Yeast
Wyeast Lambic Blend with 1 lb DME yeast starter

this is a violent fermentation may need blowoff valve

Secondary Fermentation

After 14 days Rack to secondary 6 Gallon container
Before racking sterilize container and add following:
2 cans raspberry puree
Boil 1 Cup of water and add 16 oz Rose Hips & 1 lb hibiscus
Once additives are soft and steeped for 5-10 mins add entire contents into secondary fermenter.
Caution you may need to add blowoff valve for a few days. Once settled return regular airlock and ferment for 4-6 months. Add a few drops of pectin
:ban:

:mug:

Note you can use 2 lbs of frozen raspberries but its easier to purchase the cans of puree.

I know nothing about making lambics...I'm just curious how much volume 16oz of Rose hips and 1lb of Hibiscus takes up in your secondary?

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, how do you get an OG of 1.062 with that extract and c10? Does that include the gravity of the starter and the fruit, I guess?

Every Ale I've made with 6-8 lbs of malt extract ends up around 1.060-1.065 OG. I take the measurement before adding the yeast and the fruit.

Regarding the volume after you rack you lose a fair amount of liquid with trub and yeast crap left in the primary so in a 6 gal carboy you should have ample room to play with. I will let you know in 2-3 weeks when I rack and add the additives . Very excited to see it play out.

So I downgraded the hibiscus to 1/2 cup as I ran out of room in my 6 gallon fermenter. It was a violent secondary ferm however it only lasted 2 days so its back to normal. I will lose about a gallon during the next racking but that isnt for a few months at the very least. Smells and tastes quite nice. Just need the souring affect to kick in from the yeast. This is where the longer you keep it in the fermenter the more sour it will become.

Just racked the sour razz removed the rose hips and the hibiscus looks and tastes like it should =) after removal a little over 5 gallons. Will keep you notified on progress ..kinda excited =) 6 more months

Just tasted this today...smells and tastes just like a sour beer. The flavor is a little weak so im thinking adding more hibiscus to the batch maybe more razz or razz extract to boost the flavor.

Back