Backsweetining with juice drops ABV question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I don't like using chemicals like Metabisulfite or unfermentable sugars...
I plan to back sweeten and carbonate with the same sugar source.... Juice.
My question is if I ferment all the sugar out of product and it is say 8% alcohol by volume... How do I know what my final alcohol by volume is going to be after I back sweeten?
Some of that sugar is going to make carbonation in the bottles so I don't really understand how I figure what the alcohol by volume is going to be because once I add more juice it's changing the volume?
Any tips?

I don't like using chemicals like Metabisulfite or unfermentable sugars...
I plan to back sweeten and carbonate with the same sugar source.... Juice.
My question is if I ferment all the sugar out of product and it is say 8% alcohol by volume... How do I know what my final alcohol by volume is going to be after I back sweeten?
Some of that sugar is going to make carbonation in the bottles so I don't really understand how I figure what the alcohol by volume is going to be because once I add more juice it's changing the volume?
Any tips?

Do you plan on pasteurizing to stop the bottle fermentation? If not than it would be pretty easy to figure out the new ABV. You have to know the Brix of the juice, how much you are adding and a good guesstimate on where it is going to stop.

If you are going to pasteurize, just need to sacrifice a portion of a carbonated bottle, let the CO2 escape and test the SG.

Careful with bottle bombs either way..

Satisfaction said:
Do you plan on pasteurizing to stop the bottle fermentation? If not than it would be pretty easy to figure out the new ABV. You have to know the Brix of the juice, how much you are adding and a good guesstimate on where it is going to stop.

If you are going to pasteurize, just need to sacrifice a portion of a carbonated bottle, let the CO2 escape and test the SG.

Careful with bottle bombs either way..

What is Brix?

Edit: Found Brix
= Degree Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by weight (% w/w). If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content. The °Bx is traditionally used in the wine, sugar, fruit juice, and honey industries.

Thank you

:mug:

Back