Cleaning Tap Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriselgui

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right section to post this but here it goes...

I just finished my first keg of beer and how I need to clean the lines, I've been looking online at different things some are CO2 charged bottles of cleaning solution and some are stuff you put in the keg and pressurize it.

What works best, any suggestions, what do you guys use?

Thanks for all your help.

What kind of keg are you using? I assume you are talking about homebrew here right? If it’s a homebrew “corny” keg (or really any other type of keg that you are able to open and refill) than just clean the keg, add some cleaning solution such as PBW, Oxyclean, One-step, etc., put the lid back on, connect your disconnects, hit with some CO2 at like 10 psi, and push the cleaning solution through the tap lines. Then if you want you can repeat with a no-rinse sanitizer or just hot water to rinse the cleanser.

If you want to go the DIY route (and would like to clean your lines without taking up a corny space, plus save on CO2), there are some cool ideas on here. I like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

i use a small pump up type sprayer. I searched through the watts plumbing section to convert the output to a 1/4 flare fitting instead of the plastic end that is started with. since i used mfls on all my tap lines, i just unscrew the corny quick disconnect from the tap line and use the sprayer to pump cleaner through the line. Others have gotten a corny post and attached it to the end of the sprayer. I didnt go this route because i use both pin lock and ball lock kegs.

I found a ton of stuff in my picnic line and just soaked for a bit in some beer line cleaner (I don't have a pump set up) rinsed it out and soaked again for a little bit. Then rinsed.

The line cleaner says it's sodium hydroxide with some surfactants. Caustic solution.

What kind of keg are you using? I assume you are talking about homebrew here right? If it’s a homebrew “corny” keg (or really any other type of keg that you are able to open and refill) than just clean the keg, add some cleaning solution such as PBW, Oxyclean, One-step, etc., put the lid back on, connect your disconnects, hit with some CO2 at like 10 psi, and push the cleaning solution through the tap lines. Then if you want you can repeat with a no-rinse sanitizer or just hot water to rinse the cleanser.

If you want to go the DIY route (and would like to clean your lines without taking up a corny space, plus save on CO2), there are some cool ideas on here. I like this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

yeah i homebrew, have a corny keg, i was thinking about that but i didnt know if it worked, or if there was a better way.

yeah i homebrew, have a corny keg, i was thinking about that but i didnt know if it worked, or if there was a better way.

Its definitely the ‘cheap and easy’ way of cleaning by using the vessels you already have. But there will be times when all your cornies are full and you want to run cleaner through, that’s when a dedicated pump or other pressure holding vessel is nice to have.

Another option is to slip a piece of tubing over your faucet and then siphon/pump the cleaning solution through the line that way. This only works if the other end of the line is open and you have something for it to drain into. Leave your keg liquid post on and open up the lid to relieve the pressure while it fills up. Then you have the added benefit of cleaning solution already in your used keg!

Back